Does Powerplay in Radeon Mobility work?

EricDawg

Limp Gawd
Radeon Mobility has something similar to Optimus (powerplay?) that allows you to switch to the integrated graphics when not gaming etc. Does that work? Does the onbaord Radeon fan turn off as well? I'm hoping when I'm just surfing in the family room that the Alienware will be quieter and cooler. Then when I'm gaming the Radeon can do it's thing.

Anyone with a lappy with a Radeon Mobility 58xx that can comment on this?

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds promising. I was thinking about a desktop replacement notebook with enough juice to game, but be quiet when surfing in the kitchen.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/ati-power-play/Pages/ati-power-play.aspx

"Since the GPU consumes less power it also produces less heat ultimately contributing to reduced system temperatures and fan noise delivering consistent performance levels for a seamless user experience."

Optimus is a multi-gpu option that allows for automatic switching between for instance a nvidia GTS 360m and an intel HD something or other.

Powerplay is an automatic gpu downclock/under volt (i think), and was introduced during the Xxx0 :-/ series.

I think their are some intel laptops with switchable ati gfx, but its not automatic, they may have a physical switch.

Back