Does Phillips generally make good TV's?

How much are you willing to spend. You can get a 40 inch 1080p HDTV LCD for 1499.99 at Bestbuy. It's a westinghouse.
 
well thats the thing, I don't have much to spend at all, I'm about to graduate HS and money will be semi-tight. But I don't mind spending $600 and under for CRT HDTV, I just want to know if thats any good
 
bump anyone?

Ok, are there any good CRT HDTV's out on the market? I've heard the Samsung Slimfit has issues (which I've seen) but what about toshibas?
 
I have a Sony 36" HDTV CRT at home, and I'd recommend their HDTV CRTs, but they're way beyond how much you want to spend. If your interested, I've been looking into getting an LCD TV for my apartment, but I don't want too spend much as I only spend half my time at my apartment and half my time at home. Here are two affordable sets I found while searching online:

Westinghouse - 27" LCD - $670:
http://butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=LTV27W6

Maxent - 26" LCD - $556:
http://butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=MX26X3

I'll probably end up going with the Westinghouse because they've got a better reputation than Maxent and I can get it for $729 shipped or $828 shipped w/3-year warrenty. The Maxent might be a better choice for you if you're trying to spend as least as possible.
 
Stay away from maxent, westinghouse, rca, and phillips unless you like green offset bars and blurry washed out images. Stay away from LCD's as well unless you can tolerate a screen door effect, unless it is a variant with a cleanup processor.

Your best bet is gonna be samsung, mitsubishi, toshiba, sony or pioneer.
I install home theaters for best buy. I've seen them all and installed countless setups.

Samsungs 36" widescreen crt does 1080i and has a very nice picture for a tube tv if thats what your looking for.
 
i'd agree about staying away from phillips...granted, my opinion is based on only seeing two sets in actual use (a 30'' CRT WS model, watched a TV movie and 3 football games at friend's houses), but BOTH had a high pitched "whine" that was audible in semi-quiet rooms...and the image quality, to the naked eye, was noticably worse than the 30'' Sony KD-30XS955 WS CRT HD ready set i ended up buying for the bedroom...it's an excellent picture for the price...

circuit city had this set on sale for 750 recently as an open box special (don't know how you feel about such items)...i paid 900 for it when it was a newer product a while back, so i'm sure it can be had for less...

it has a lot of inputs as well...there's a model with a built-in tuner (black finish) as well...

btw, it's out of your price range, but the newer 34'' CRT WS XBR Sony HDTV has an amazing picture for the 1199 (on sale) price tag...one of the above-mentioned friends who got fed-up with the "whine" on the phillips set recently upgraded to this and the picture seems really fantastic....

the one big drawback with a lot of these 30'' and bigger CRT models is obviously the weight of the damn things...they're beasts...i moved the 30'' twice and it wasn't all that bad, but it's on the heavy side to be sure...
 
vizx said:
btw, it's out of your price range, but the newer 34'' CRT WS XBR Sony HDTV has an amazing picture for the 1199 (on sale) price tag...one of the above-mentioned friends who got fed-up with the "whine" on the phillips set recently upgraded to this and the picture seems really fantastic....
I still love these TV's . personally . I think the price should be a bit cheaper now-adays, especially since some Slim-Projection TVs and other technologies are catching up, if not surpassing the image quality of this set. I'd still get one if I had the room for it, then again I'd probably go for a DLP projector setup. If you're going to me moving soon after HS, then I'd get a smallish LCD, maybe a 26" 30", you'll thank yourself later, main reason I haven't moved as soon as I should have is cuz of the pain my 36" Mitsu will cause!
 
Wahrscheinlichkeit said:
Stay away from maxent, westinghouse, rca, and phillips unless you like green offset bars and blurry washed out images. Stay away from LCD's as well unless you can tolerate a screen door effect, unless it is a variant with a cleanup processor.

Go back to Best Buy. I have friends who own a Maxent 42" plasma and 26" or 30" Westinghouse LCD. Neither companies sets are going to win any awards, but they are fine at what they do. I can't speak for the Maxent LCD, as I've only seen their plasma line, which is why I'd prefer the Westinghouse, but I figured I'd mention it just in case since he is on a budget. There is nothing wrong with LCDs, have you actually taken the time to check some sets out? Their contrast and black levels may not be as good as those of CRT and Plasma, but they're still ok. The Sharp Aquos LCDs have really good black levels for LCDs, but unfortunately they are more expensive than other LCDs.

MrkXCeL said:
If you're going to me moving soon after HS, then I'd get a smallish LCD, maybe a 26" 30", you'll thank yourself later, main reason I haven't moved as soon as I should have is cuz of the pain my 36" Mitsu will cause!

Thats precisely why I recommended the two LCD sets above, I figure TehLUEser will be going off to college soon, and he may want to take the set with him. A 26"-30" LCD will be light enough but still adequate in size to take to a school dorm or apartment.
 
You may wanna get your eyes check out then.
Go ahead and read my post one more time buddy.

Have I taken the time to check them out? Please how ignorant can you be :rolleyes:
I would say go ahead and do some side by side comparisons and not base your opionion off of someone elses property. Thats like stating a 480p has great image quality before seeing 1080i first.
Sigh :( the numerous service calls for these tv's and the ultimate result of the customer going a different route.

Make sure you get a service plan if you plan on going with a maxent or westinghouse.
I've noticed after a period of around 6 months the image slowy getting more and more washed out. As well as an grayinig blacklevel depth, imagine a black and white tv with a hint of color here and there.

The phillips aquos lcd's do have nice picture and good bang for the buck, being they have a special processor to help with the screenie effect. Do watch out for burnt pixels but they seem to be unavoidable on the phillips lcd's. There plasmas leave much to be desired.
But whatever you decide on just keep in mind what I've said. Being I have actual experience with these tv's and have encountered these problems with them numerous times although not 100% as always your mileage varies, and most intelligent people realize that. ;)
 
Back
Top