Does PCI-Express solve SOD/SCPs?

longhair

n00b
I've been doing a lot of reading regarding SODs (Squeal of Death) and SCPs (Snap, Cracle, Pops)/Noise from PCI sound cards over the years, and it appears many think the problem is related to PCI latency issues.

A) Since PCI-Express uses a different system, do PCI-Express soundcards not suffer from these issues?

B) Has anyone solved their soundcard issues by switching to a PCI-Express version?

Thanks.

I've been doing a lot of reading regarding SODs (Squeal of Death) and SCDs (Snap, Cracle, Pops)/Noise from PCI sound cards over the years, and it appears many think the problem is related to PCI latency issues.

A) Since PCI-Express uses a different system, do PCI-Express soundcards not suffer from these issues?

B) Has anyone solved their soundcard issues by switching to a PCI-Express version?

Thanks.

A.) No, PCIe cards still suffer the same problem.

B.) No and do not expect too ever solve the problem.

Motherboard designs have been reworked over the years to eliminate this problem (or any external signs of PCI latency). For example, my new AMD 790FX based board doesn't have any SCP or 4GB adressing issues with the X-FI PCI XtremeGamer. As a general rule of thumb, I've found the further away from any nForce/SLI chipset you are, the better.

Bummer.

Thanks for the replies. I'm mostly trying to gather info to arm myself with when the time rolls around to build a new system. So far, the future isn't looking very bright in the sound department. :(

I heard EMI shielding can protect it though. There's poster who showed his ghetto mod, and I believe he said the interference in non-existant with the shielding.

I actually haven't heard of SCP issues with PCIe cards, even those made by Creative, so I'm not sure where some of these guys are getting their info, specifically.

As for EMI, that's a different "issue" entirely.

I've only ever heard this to be an issue on Nforce4 chipsets. My Biostar TPower i45 has no problems.

I haven't had any squeal of death issues since going to X-Fi but remember I used to occasionally get it with SB Live and I think I may have once or twice with Audigy2 also. I think that issue is more dependent on which mb you use too. PCI-E doesn't solve it though? It should because PCI-E doesn't share bandwidth like PCI does.

Back