Does partition 1 start on the outside of a HDD platter?

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
I have always been under the impression that Partition 1 starts on the outside of the disk and works its way inward. If the whole partition takes up a whole platter, the partition then extends onto the outter regions of the next platter. The seek time should be faster on the outside of the platter vs the inside so I have always made partition 1 rather small in hopes of isolating an outer region and a partition with the fastest seek times possible.

Is this notion even true? And if so, is this the way it works with all HDDs?

Yes, that notion is true and that's the way it works on drives that use a circular track system. A lot of larger drives use a perpendicular track system that read and write going from the outer edges to the center like spokes on a wheel.

I would think one would only need to look at the graph of a HDs tranfer rate benchmark across the entire drive to realize how it's using the disk?

I don't think HDD benchmarking cares about partitions. But I also believe that partitions start from the outside (if set at the begining of the HDD) regardless of the number of platters.

Back