Does over 4 GB make any difference in x64?

LockOnToIt

Weaksauce
I have 4 GB of g.Skill in my system (see sig for specs), considering getting another 4 (cheapo at Newegg at the moment). Do you think there's any point?

depends on what you are doing. if you are running vm's or heavy multitasking, it might be worth it. otherwise, there wouldnt be a 'need' for it, maybe only an excuse to upgrade and have more bragging rights

Vista can use the extra RAM for superfetch, which is a good thing, even if nothing else does.

No clue. I have 8 gigs because it's cheap, and my system is going to last me until PCI Express 2.0 is no longer used for video cards, or USB 3.0 comes out and is cheap.

Doing benchmarks to see if the 8 gigs is needed isn't needed. If you have the cash spend it. Unless you plan on going DDR3 soon.

Vista can use the extra RAM for superfetch, which is a good thing, even if nothing else does.

no it wont, if you dont use enough programs it wont and it is hard to get it to use even 4G it seems, i got 8G and after a fresh reboot, i am only using about 1.3G total ram with nothing running yet, and i use alot of programs.

no it wont, if you dont use enough programs it wont and it is hard to get it to use even 4G it seems, i got 8G and after a fresh reboot, i am only using about 1.3G total ram with nothing running yet, and i use alot of programs.

Yet my fiance's computer has 6 gigs and runs circles around my 4 GB on most complex apps. Go figure.

Ummm, yes it will - that is exactly what Superfetch is for, caching commonly used programs in unused RAM. Let your system sit for a while and see what happens - I routinely have about 5 MBs free on my 8 GB system (looking in Task Manager which shows superfetch usage, not in the Sidebar widget or wherever).

Definitely worthwhile, I like to have more ram than is needed (as in, under all variations of my day to day usage I will not hit 90% used). I'm using Windows XP x64 with Eboostr 3.0 which steals 2GB of the 8GB for a similar boost to the Vista Superfetch......

And DDR2 1066 RAM is quite cheap now.
Although I was tempted by 4x4GB sticks despite their premium, but the lack of 1066 grade put me off.......

Back