Does outputting through both DVI outputs effect performance?

V4oLDbOY

Gawd
This may be a stupid question, but thats why I'm asking instead of assuming.

I am looking to buy a monitor, I've been using my HDTV as a pc monitor and I've gotten by with a tv tray +bookshelf combination for gaming, but I am ready to just buy a monitor and game sitting in an office chair like normal.

I would still want to play the games that I use a controller with i.e. something like Just Cause 2 or Red Faction Guerilla and also watch video on my HDTV.

So can I just have the PC output the same display out both DVI ports and have one go to my HDTV and one to the monitor without effecting any performance?

what kind of video card do you have ? I have an ati tv card &I watch tv while I'm on the pc. Quality is good but then again it's windowed. I use my 32" tv for my monitor.

reread it & yes i did sorry. But when I had my 4870 on my old pc i was using my tv as monitor & i loaded & tried to run a game . i could here the game running but i could not see anything on my tv, so i hooked up my 19" monitor as well & then I was able to see the game to adjust the resolution so it would display on my tv. i don't think i could use both displays at the same time though, I had to select the primary monitor you know identify with the big 1, but i'm sorry i don't remember. You might want to check the ati software to see if it will let you do that

I game and watch movies on my other monitor all the time. What you need to do to get it full screen is use Media Player Classic and go into options and set the full screen monitor to monitor 2, because your game will use whatever monitor you set to primary in CCC.

So yes you can definitely do what you want with no problems.

Last edited:
ok that clears that up. I was afraid I'd have to get an HDMI splitter or something.

Should work fine for me since the monitor I want to get is 1920x1080 which is that same as my tv

Can you not just set the Display to "Clone" mode?

I never tried, but assumed that is what that mode is for. Can someone confirm?

Can you not just set the Display to "Clone" mode?

I never tried, but assumed that is what that mode is for. Can someone confirm?

I don't think so, from what I remember Clone makes your screen show up as is on both monitors, so you can say, look at a PPT on your laptop as its being shown on a projector, or something like that.

I don't think so, from what I remember Clone makes your screen show up as is on both monitors, so you can say, look at a PPT on your laptop as its being shown on a projector, or something like that.

Yes, clone means exactly what you'd expect (given the definition of the word) - a copy of what is displayed on the primary monitor.

Back