• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does Orthos matter?

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
2,854
hey guys, I worked my cpu oc a little more last night after getting new ram. Its currently @ 3.4gig on air cooling. I played an hour of games without incident, yet when I run orthos it stops with 15 seconds? Is this an issue?:confused:
 
Yes, it is an issue. Your games are most likely not pushing your CPU to it's max like Orthos does. If Orthos is crashing within 15 seconds, try upping your vcore and MCH a little.
 
Yes, it does matter. I've ran a system that was only 4 hours ORTHOS stable for gaming, and it worked fine except for Supreme Commander, which kept crashing. Adjusting the memory timings and a couple of voltages allowed me to get 8+ hours stable, and Supreme Commander stopped crashing.
 
ok i upped the vcore to 1.45v and the mch was on AUTO and is now @ 400mhz. Is that ok for the mch?
 
Anything that crashes matters. You may not notice it now, but sometime later, could be in a few minutes, could be an hour, could be a year, a stability problem can arise and [e.g] your final paper you worked an entire day for could be lost.

But also don't count on tests to completely clear you of instability. Even after my recent success of 8hrs Orthos, OCCT and 20 passes of IBT, applications and programs still manage to crash.

I can't say for sure, but a 65nm (stupid 45nms :()passing like, 8hrs of Orthos should be pretty damn stable. At least my old e6420 was - 8hrs of just Orthos and never ever ever a crash for half a year. Pretty surprised a stupid 45nm that went through more stress testing and came out triumphant would get owned by Firefox or Warcraft3 soon afterward.
 
man its still not doing well, it crashed after 38 secs this time. Vcore is at 1.475v MCH @ 400mhz, the ram is slightly oc'd to 850 mhz @ 5-4-4-12 @ 1.9v ?? I think I used to have CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and CPU Eist Function disabled but since I updated my bios 2 weeks ago I cant remember all the adjustmenst I had. Should they be disabled?
 
Do 333/667 strap or 400/800 strap for the ram (aka. 1:1) and up the voltage of vdimm to 2.1. It's just about doing controlled testing (remember elementary/high school science?) for each voltage to see what you need to fine tune. Took me 3-4 restarts to get my voltage right... And it seems to work! 20 IBT passes on new settings, now to see if it'll crash FF and WC3 again :D Didn't think surfing the web and playing games would be so much work:rolleyes::D
 
What orthos test are you running? If it's stopping on small FFT's then your cpu needs more juice. If it stops on blend/Large then your NB/RAM might need more juice or looser timings. If orthos crashes but gaming doesn't then i would say it's just your ram/nb that needs a bit more volts.
 
hmm im running the blended test, but the ram is at stock speeds but i upped the voltage from 1.v -> 1.9v.
I will run the small ff test and report back. Ok I just ran the small fft test and it stoppped
after 20 secs.

Aslo, I think I used to have CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and CPU Eist Function disabled but since I updated my bios 2 weeks ago I cant remember all the adjustmenst I had. Should they be disabled?
 
Back
Top