Does OC'ing effect PCI SATA Card?

film

Weaksauce
So im planning on getting a Promise PCI SATA II 2-Port Controller to run a couple of Westy WD2500KS in RAID. My question is, does oc'ing effect the PCI bus at all? I will most likely be using a DFI SLI-DR expert, does it have the pci locking feature similar to the Asus mobo? thanks.

-

Well, the nForce 2, 3, and 4 all support PCI/AGP/PCIe locks, (among other chipsets), so assuming you enable that, it won't affect it at all. Asus does not have an exclusive on this feature.

Now, I'm trying to figure out why, if you get an nForce 4 SLI motherboard, you're getting an extra controller card. The nForce 4 SLI supports SATA II functions, so you wouldn't gain anything going with that card. Now, it it were a more advanced card with an actual processor chip, you'd actually see a benefit. There's also RAID 0, 1, and 0+1 support for the NF4 series.

thanks for the info.. I meant to say 'using' not 'getting'. Actually the Promise SATA controller is from my rig at work (not oc). it's currently setup in RAID 0 with ~ 400gb of stuff already on it. Since im in the process of upgrading the mobo/cpu, so i was hoping to leave the RAID config intact instead of setting up a new RAID with the onboard nf4.. but yeah, good to know the PCI bus is not effected by the fsb. thanks again..

-

film said:
thanks for the info.. I meant to say 'using' not 'getting'. Actually the Promise SATA controller is from my rig at work (not oc). it's currently setup in RAID 0 with ~ 400gb of stuff already on it. Since im in the process of upgrading the mobo/cpu, so i was hoping to leave the RAID config intact instead of setting up a new RAID with the onboard nf4.. but yeah, good to know the PCI bus is not effected by the fsb. thanks again..
-
I wouldnt use a RAID0 array to store 400GB of data. More than double the risk of losing your data - all it would take is for one of the drives to die, or become corrupted. Raid-0 for large sequential reads/writes (eg. video editing), but for storage you're better off just running the drives separately, or as a JBOD, or better yet, raid 5 or 6.

Back