Does NFS:U use AA and AF?

vbp6us

Limp Gawd
I have them on at 4x and 4x but im not sure if the game is even using it. I don't see any changes and everything seems the same(i think).

Thanks.

AA will not be used if Motion Blur is on. I'm not sure abt the AF & Light Trail option though. Hope this help you.

AF works with both motion blur or non motion blur.
i have tested this manytimes with my 9500pro.

im not sure about AA+motion blur

Anisotropic Filtering i.e. AF works in all modes.

Anti-Aliasing i.e. AA will only work if Motion Blur AND Light Trails are DISABLED.

If either one, or both are enabled AA will not function, you will get the performance hit of AA being on, but you will not see the benefit.

Therefore, if you want AA disable Motion Blur AND Light Trails in the game.

Originally posted by vbp6us
Hi,

Thanks guys! I have them motion blur and trials off. :)

thanks

cool beans, if you still don't think AA is working take some screenshots and post them here, I can zoom in on them and look to see if AA is doing anything in them

OT:

vbp6us, I sent you a PM, but I don't think you got it.

I just basically wanted to know how well that BFG 5900 is running. Better than the 9600XT?

Thanks.

i was always puzzles by this cuz when i turn on AA/AF I don't see a difference. I tried turning light trail and motion blur OFF, but there still isnt any difference. I know how AA should look, plus I took 2 screen shots, 1 with no aa/af and 1 with 4x aa 2x af, the AA was definately not there, it's like the same exact picture. whats up with this, i want AA!! i was playing at 1280x1024 res, if that makes any diff with all details high and everything on except motion blur and light trails.

you will most likely not get the options you want with this new NFSU game. Just like support for force feedback steering wheels. EAGames made this game for the queer console junkies, and just did a quick port over to the PC arena to please us PC Gamers. -at least that's what it looks like since everything in the game is easier to navigate with either a gamepad or a keyboard and nothing else.

I personally love the gameplay...but it pisses me off that EA did this to the new NFSU when NFS HP2 was so kickass. You know they did a hackjob on a console port when my second machine (1.1Ghz P3 with a GF2 GTS) plays it at 1280x1024, high world detail, and most everything else low. That machine could run NFSHP2 at 1024x768 with ALL the options on low!

Originally posted by nst6563
you will most likely not get the options you want with this new NFSU game. Just like support for force feedback steering wheels. EAGames made this game for the queer console junkies, and just did a quick port over to the PC arena to please us PC Gamers. -at least that's what it looks like since everything in the game is easier to navigate with either a gamepad or a keyboard and nothing else.

I personally love the gameplay...but it pisses me off that EA did this to the new NFSU when NFS HP2 was so kickass. You know they did a hackjob on a console port when my second machine (1.1Ghz P3 with a GF2 GTS) plays it at 1280x1024, high world detail, and most everything else low. That machine could run NFSHP2 at 1024x768 with ALL the options on low!

That is so not true, and AA and AF work GREAT for me, and I DO notice a difference, big time.

Originally posted by rlee
i was always puzzles by this cuz when i turn on AA/AF I don't see a difference. I tried turning light trail and motion blur OFF, but there still isnt any difference. I know how AA should look, plus I took 2 screen shots, 1 with no aa/af and 1 with 4x aa 2x af, the AA was definately not there, it's like the same exact picture. whats up with this, i want AA!! i was playing at 1280x1024 res, if that makes any diff with all details high and everything on except motion blur and light trails.

After you enable AA and AF in the ATI control panel reboot your machine, then go back into the game and make sure light trails and motion blur are both off, AF should work regardless, AA only works if those things are off.

AA and AF work great for me in the game and greatly increase the image quality in the game.

Originally posted by Brent
That is so not true, and AA and AF work GREAT for me, and I DO notice a difference, big time.

Ok...so then explain to me why the hell EA decided NOT to include good support for Force feedback wheel systems (you know, the ones with the shifter AND pedal setup??) on a RACING GAME! Hmmm...let me think...because most consoles don't have that sort of equipment, and if you look at the marketing for this game, it is geared toward console junkies (no offense to any that are here though).

They had good support in the previous games, but it disappeared in this one. And upon calling EA to find out what's up, they tell you "we are not supporting wheels of any sort"... which basically translates to more code than what was in the console version and they're not going to put the effort into it.

As far as AA and AF, I don't care about them. I don't play with them enabled, never did. Nowadays mostly because my vidcard sucks ass compared to the shiny new 9800's and 5950's. And I'm not saying that they in fact do NOT work, I'm stating the fact that if you look at the game itself...it looks like a console port. Hell, even the graphics on NFS HP2 look better at the same res.

There's also no damage modelling at all.

You can ram into a wall square on at speeds that would kill a driver and total your car. In NFSU, the car does not even have a scratch on it after such a collision.

In NFS Porche Unlimiied and previous releases, your car accumulated damage and it showed visually and it degraded performance.

NFSU looks cool, but is very shallow and aimed squarely at the console crowd.

Originally posted by Jawadali
OT:

vbp6us, I sent you a PM, but I don't think you got it.

I just basically wanted to know how well that BFG 5900 is running. Better than the 9600XT?

Thanks.

The 5900 was the winner in all the games I tested them in(games I play, duh :) )

The 9600XT wasn't too far behind though. I don't have screenshots or anything but you'll have to take my word for it. The 9600XT had the best picture quality ive ever seen though(never owned an ATI card).

The FPS in CS and DOD was about the same for both with everything turned up.

Games I played:

Vice City, CS, DOD, RACER, MOHAA, MotoGP2, Max Payne2, Midnight Club2(horrible game btw), NFS:U, and Rise of Nations.

I setup two computers(same ram, OS, psu setup) 1700(bfg) and 2500(9600XT). I set it up like that because the 256bit advantage the BFG has. :)

Overall, they are both awesome cards and to the average person, they both get the job done, imho. :) Both gave me HIGH fps(vsync off) in every game with settings turned up all the way but the 5900 was ahead in almost all games.

Originally posted by LordBritish
There's also no damage modelling at all.

You can ram into a wall square on at speeds that would kill a driver and total your car. In NFSU, the car does not even have a scratch on it after such a collision.

In NFS Porche Unlimiied and previous releases, your car accumulated damage and it showed visually and it degraded performance.

NFSU looks cool, but is very shallow and aimed squarely at the console crowd.

That's not true. Ive seen my window shattered before.

Originally posted by Brent
cool beans, if you still don't think AA is working take some screenshots and post them here, I can zoom in on them and look to see if AA is doing anything in them

Will do as soon as I get a chance. :)

too lazy to read entire thread. throwing in my $.02 anyway....

programming motion blur into a game is about the dumbest damn waste of time i've ever heard of.. anyone mind telling me what the point is? it is effectively taking time to code something that simulates an optical effect that the HUMAN EYE ITSELF DOES if it perceives an object moving fast enough. no i'm not going to show you the physics equations but yes i do know them or could look them up.

Motion blur for computer animation is not a waste if it can be accomplished without turning into a slide show - unfortunely, current technology does not allow that at a frame rate and cost that the average consumer willl tolerate. It's computationally very expensive, even more so than FSAA.

I don't think motion blur will become common for a few years yet. Motion blur will allow for a more natural looking animation - and you won't need 60+ fps either. Most movies are shot at only 24 fps yet it doesn't look jerky - the reason is of course is film has motion blur.

Originally posted by nst6563
Ok...so then explain to me why the hell EA decided NOT to include good support for Force feedback wheel systems (you know, the ones with the shifter AND pedal setup??) on a RACING GAME! Hmmm...let me think...because most consoles don't have that sort of equipment, and if you look at the marketing for this game, it is geared toward console junkies (no offense to any that are here though).

My steering wheel works great, full force feedback support, all buttons working including the directional pad, gear shifting paddals work etc; although I'm using a PS2 wheel on my pc.

-------------------
Edit: By PS2 I mean a Playstation 2 USB wheel.

Originally posted by toastyghost
programming motion blur into a game is about the dumbest damn waste of time i've ever heard of.. anyone mind telling me what the point is? it is effectively taking time to code something that simulates an optical effect that the HUMAN EYE ITSELF DOES if it perceives an object moving fast enough. no i'm not going to show you the physics equations but yes i do know them or could look them up.

Sure that's true, BUT when your looking at your computer screen your not seeing live action, you're seeing a slideshow of about 70fps maybe. And motion blur makes a huge difference in the game, everything looks smoother and when your car is really moving the motion blur looks great.

Originally posted by Andrew87
My steering wheel works great, full force feedback support, all buttons working including the directional pad, gear shifting paddals work etc; although I'm using a PS2 wheel on my pc.

that's great. however I find it dishartening that a wheel such as the logitech doesn't work right and also the fact that calling EA gets you an answer along the lines of "we don't care and never will"...just made me loose some respect for EA. I love their games, and like nfsu very much despite those facts. I just think that they need to put a little more thought into things next time.

I'm also using a Logitech (Logitech Driving Force USB); are you using the latest Wingman Drivers?

yup. tried the new drivers, tried the old drivers, tried re-installing directx. Funny thing is that it works with NFS HP2 but not NFSU. That coupled with what EA support told me is what blew my lid. After that I had to play some raven shield and shoot some things.

I guess it will take a re-install of windows or something. My friends wheel doesn't work either though, don't remember what brand it is...not MS or logitech though. But his is a fresh install of Windows XP since he just built his pc about a week ago. This was actually the first game he put on there and for kicks I told him to try HP2 and he got the same results as I did.

What really pisses me off is the fact that EA support actually told me that they're not really supporting wheels in this game and don't plan to in the future. I mean really, playing a racing game with the keyboard is like driving your car with a flight stick...it's just not right...

Originally posted by toastyghost
too lazy to read entire thread. throwing in my $.02 anyway....

I think it looks really cool in this game. Since your computer is not really travelling at 160mph, you wouldnt get the blur otherwise.

Originally posted by Glottis
I think it looks really cool in this game. Since your computer is not really travelling at 160mph, you wouldnt get the blur otherwise.

my laptop was traveling at about 145mph once. The white dotted lines on the highway really do start to blur together around that speed. Wind noise is hell in a convertable at that speed though...prolly shoulda had the top up but oh well, only did it once.

I'm just waiting for some spoiled 18 yr old with uninvolved parents to wrap his scrotum around an overpass at 120 MPH and draw some ignorant lawsuit heat away from all the shooting games for a couple months.

On topic: The motion blur makes me want to puke and completely kills the framerate as it both forces vsynch and wastes frame buffer BW. Once you get it disabled you realize what a rehash of an over marketed console port really plays like on a PC. Hopefully we'll see a non console originated hot pursuit 3 in the next year or so.

Originally posted by 101
I'm just waiting for some spoiled 18 yr old with uninvolved parents to wrap his scrotum around an overpass at 120 MPH and draw some ignorant lawsuit heat away from all the shooting games for a couple months.

On topic: The motion blur makes me want to puke and completely kills the framerate as it both forces vsynch and wastes frame buffer BW. Once you get it disabled you realize what a rehash of an over marketed console port really plays like on a PC. Hopefully we'll see a non console originated hot pursuit 3 in the next year or so.

glad I'm not the only one that sees this game for what it is. If I wanted to play a console game, I'd buy a damned console. Game developers should make a game that will make use of the hardware on a pc. I mean really...there's no reason to upgrade your pc if the developers are going to make a game that looks better on an XBox than it does on a 3+ghz machine with a 9800xt.

oh...and I wasn't 18 when doing 145. I was actually 26, it was an emergency, I was on a straight stretch of highway, and the car was a 2000 Camaro SS convertible.

Back