• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does new bios help you overlcock?>

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 9, 2002
Messages
1,649
I have a Radeon 9700 non pro. It is the exact same card as the 9700 pro ( same layout, ram, everything,) I have never put the 9700 pro bios on it but only used Rage Tweak to overclock it. I have noticed that once I go past the regular 9700 pro speeds (315\310 I start to see artifacts. Im at 320\315 right now but anymore than that and I get artifacts in doom 3.

If I put a new bios on my card will it let me overclock a bit more without artifacts?
 
depends on the bios... the 5950 bios bumps vcore up so; just like cpus you get a better overclock
 
plur said:
What memory do you have on the card, specifically?
i think its 2.2 ns could be wrong tho and i forget type.. why you ask
 
Good. With the Samsung 2.8ns you can simply flash to a 9700 Pro BIOS. Windows will actually recognise the unit as a 9700 Pro too then, instead of a 9500 Pro/9700.
 
i got a modded bios that got rid of throttling and gave more volts,
my oc did increase but only marginally 10 mhz on gpu and 6mhz on the memory
 
i dont suppose there is a modded bios for the ddr2 9800 pro cards are there?
 
lithium726 said:
those can only be modded to a FireGL card IIRC

i knew of that mod, and considered doing it but theres really no advantage to it and id lose 3dgaming performance.
 
Bump b/c I have the same question and It hasnt seem to be answered. I have a 9700 clocked at 310/340 currently. Is there a bios flash or something to increase preformance? ie Doom3 and HL2 :D
 
you allready modded it to a 9700pro, thats probobly the only softmod you could have done. you might be able to voltmod it to give you a little headroom on your overclock.
 
Yeah I'm looking for anyone else who has done the 9700Pro voltage mod. I'm willing to beat on my card soon as I will most likely upgrade to a 6800GT when the price comes down considerably.
 
How would you go about doing a volt mod for the videocard? Also, any suggestions on doing it? Max volts, increments, etc...
 
Back
Top