Does my Q6600 have a locked multiplier? Using Asus P5B Premium

morpheus9394

Limp Gawd
Just upgraded my system to a P5B Premium Vista Edition with a Q6600.
The bios there is setting called "Modify Ratio Support"
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/8579/bios2jo3.jpg
Similar to the screenshot here but when you select enable another option opens underneath that allows you to change the ratio between 6 - 9. I tried changing it to 8 and had an FSB of 400 which should have given me a 3200mhz clock but it actually gave me 3600mhz.
Whatever I change the ratio to the bios reflects the change but the post screen shows a clock speed based on a ratio of 9.
I am using the latst bios for the board. I am doing something wrong.
I am currently running at 333fsb with a default ratio of 9 giving me a nice 3ghz clock speed and the pc is super stable but I know the machine is capable of a alot more as my temps as nice a low.
I am using Crucial Ballistic 8500 paired ddr2 so the ram is capable of a high fsb.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Q6600 multipliers are locked to four values. 6, 7, 8 and 9. I would enable the Modify Ratio Support setting. This should allow you to control it. Beware that some BIOS' do not always allow you to change the multiplier of the processor. They should, but as I understand it origianlly the P5B couldn't do that. It wasn't until a new BIOS came out for it that it was able to do that. I'd check the ASUS forums. There might be a similar issue with the Q6600 and the P5B.

Back