Does my computer not support Hyper-Threading?

nutkase

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey,

I picked up that Intel combo at Fry's this weekend, and I have the system all setup. The thing is that when I open up the task manager, I only see one cpu in performance tab. Shouldn't I be seeing two? The cpu is a P4 505J and the motherboard is an ECS 848P-A7 ... the manual makes reference to a setting in the BIOS to turn HT off, however when I enter that section of the BIOS, the "Hyper-Threading Techonology" item isn't there. I've also changed my drive to the ACPI Multiprocessor PC driver, but that hasn't had any effect.

I thought all modern P4's had HT, and the motherboard box and manual claim the board supports it ... so what do you think is up?

Also, just flipping through my manual, there are quite a bit of options mentioned in the manual that aren't actually in the BIOS ... any ideas as to what's up with that?

Thanks

The P4 505, 505J, and 506 do not have HT, they are 533fsb processors.

figured as much, but all of the websites I saw said the 5xx series had it ... Oh well, can't complain for the price ;)

Thanks!

If you cna get a good mobo, you cna hit 4ghz easy. 200fsbx20 = 4ghz

yeah the cpu could potentially turn out to be quite good...only thing I'm scared of is that 848 based mobo, which = no dual channel. Just get a decent mobo and let it fly.

Brucee said:
no but this is a good reason you should change to amd now....

Smokey.jpg

Does my CPU support hyperthreading? ≠ Please tell me what kind of platform I should run.
:D

Lol the if you only play games and run 1 application at a time amd is great if you use your computer for anything else than gameing stick with intel and get you a new cpu with ht tech. Personally for the extra 5% gameing performance amd gives over a comparable intel cpu I dont see the point of buying a amd system unless of course its the new x2 amd chips they have improved alot on this area. Case of point my friend had a 4000+ amd setup and sold it to get a intel ht setup he was jealous of how my intel system performed under heavy load multi applications running :)

Brucee said:
AMD Platform :D

Hey troll, Go meet your boyfriend in the AMD Forum, hes calling you. You piss and moan and spread your shitty BIAS posts all over hardforum, you dont belong here.

Brucee said:
Lol crazy intel lover.... bill gates must be proud...
Bill Gates heads MICROSOFT. not INTEL. When you TRY insult people. its REALLLLY essential that you get the right CEO with the company.

Slamgoku - I am THEE G.

nutkase said:
Hey,

I picked up that Intel combo at Fry's this weekend, and I have the system all setup. The thing is that when I open up the task manager, I only see one cpu in performance tab. Shouldn't I be seeing two? The cpu is a P4 505J and the motherboard is an ECS 848P-A7 ... the manual makes reference to a setting in the BIOS to turn HT off, however when I enter that section of the BIOS, the "Hyper-Threading Techonology" item isn't there. I've also changed my drive to the ACPI Multiprocessor PC driver, but that hasn't had any effect.

I thought all modern P4's had HT, and the motherboard box and manual claim the board supports it ... so what do you think is up?

Also, just flipping through my manual, there are quite a bit of options mentioned in the manual that aren't actually in the BIOS ... any ideas as to what's up with that?

Thanks
As the first reply indicates, your CPU does not support HyperThreading. Every single Intel P4 CPU with the Prescott core and a "533MHz" FSB have HyperThreading disabled internally at the factory - and you cannot enable Hyperthreading on those CPUs without destroying the CPU core. The only "533MHz" FSB Pentium 4 ever produced which supported HyperThreading was the Socket 478 3.06GHz Pentium 4 (Northwood core, with "only" 512K L2 cache).

I found a VPR Matrix a couple of days ago and so far the motherboard doesn't work ( I think anyway, when I press the powerbutton nothing happens but everything spins up).

But I pulled two 120gb hdds(both work great), FX5200(works great), Pioneer 105(works great), a generic DVD-ROM drive(something rattles inside), and a P4(don't know yet if it works).

I looked up the motherboard and it is s478 or something.

The last time I had an Intel proc was my Cely 1ghz on my Asus TUSI-M.

I wiped off the themal paste and found the following:

P4 3.06/512/533 SLS5 MALAY L303A712-0986

what can mine do?

you get a lot of power for pretty cheap with those mobo/cpu combos. And with a little bit of overclocking your system could really rock.

the next week they had 2.8 with HT CPU's for $10 more = http://www.netaffilia.com/ad/electronics/frys/i/2005/07/06/11254.html don't know what mobo came with this deal... might have been crappier VIA / SIS board for that price.

Your deal ? = http://www.netaffilia.com/ad/electronics/frys/i/2005/07/01/11195.html
848's are pretty good. They're basically just an 865 with one DDR channel disabled. They OC great just like the 865/875's. I would shoot for at least 3.5Ghz with that system, and if you're lucky you MIGHT hit 4Ghz!!

CRANK THAT BITCH UP!

Seriously.

I don't know the first thing about Intel procs.

P4 3.06/512/533 SLS5 MALAY L303A712-0986

what can mine do?

http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...cFam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

I think you were missing the "6" in the SL spec. SL6S5

Anyway, its a C1 stepping. Which is ok. D1 steppings are much better on a whole.

My guess is it might do 3.2+ Ghz :(
If it was a D1 I might say 3.4+

But you never know it could be a dud, and max at 3.1Ghz (barely over default)
or it could be a cherry chip and do 4Ghz!

There's no way to tell what your chip will do but to put it in a good overclocking motherboard, and crank up the FSB!

WOOT!!!!

This is what I was looking for:
This processor includes Hyper-Threading Technology.

I don't overclock anything (I know...how dare I even be on the [H]. :p ), and this is my first Intel since a celeron in 1998.

Super thanks for the link! Looks like someone thru out a good system except for the motherboard! Lucky me for finding it!

Back