Does mouse matter?

Icy006

Limp Gawd
I'm using an 11 year old Razer Orochi, and honestly I love it and have no urge to upgrade (for FPS use). So I thought I'd post here and ruin that by asking, should I have an urge to upgrade it? :)

Everyone likes new stuff, but I'm still using a million year old wireless Razer mouse. One of the first that weighs about 1600lbs. Love it and until it gets rowdy, I'll keep using it.

Love it, and I feel that. I still eye my Intellimouse v3 every once in awhile...
I had one of the original Logitech Wingman mice, with the three buttons and no scroll wheel. Sometimes I remember the good old days and look around on eBay for one.

Luckily for me they are priced at $100 so I quickly come back to reality. But I digress.

Pfft, nah.

Also once mice went crazy-high res they stopped "just working" with a lot of games not from their era. Old mice, on the other hand, work just fine with new shit.

As long as the feet still glide, send it.

Pfft, nah.

Also once mice went crazy-high res they stopped "just working" with a lot of games not from their era. Old mice, on the other hand, work just fine with new shit.

As long as the feet still glide, send it.
What? I have a mouse on my second PC with 20k DPI and all I play are old games (quake3, quake2, original serious Sam) and it works fine

Maybe these aren't old enough, who knows.

Maybe these aren't old enough, who knows.

It's usually in-between games that suck. Try it with Skyrim. Not Skyrim Special Edition, I'm talking regular Skyrim (unless they finally patched it).

There are plenty of games from that era that you have to go into .cfg files for high DPI mice to override MouseSensitivyGame:1000 with MouseSensitivtyGame:0.025.

It's usually in-between games that suck. Try it with Skyrim. Not Skyrim Special Edition, I'm talking regular Skyrim (unless they finally patched it).

There are plenty of games from that era that you have to go into .cfg files for high DPI mice to override MouseSensitivyGame:1000 with MouseSensitivtyGame:0.025.
I have this issue in Linux with all of my razer mice. Probably a razer issue.

I'd just keep rocking the Orochi if it feels good to use and works as it should.

Nice. I'm a mediocre gamer, and the Orochi serves me just fine. Doubt I'd notice much of a difference with something new, just wanted to confirm!

I buy new gaming mice all the time and rotate thru them because I like the change up and different feel. That said I bought the SteelSeries Aerox 3 (wired) and although it's not my favorite as far as feel goes (that's the Deathadder) I have to admit I seem to play better with it and use it the majority of the time. It's shape allows me to control my shot better and it seems I can fine tune my aim by twisting it as opposed to moving it side to side. I'm guessing this is because the sensor is a little offset compared to other mice.

So yeah for competitive games like COD I think it definitely matters. But for single player games, I'd say go with the one that is the most comfortable and be done with it.

That said, I don't think it's a HUGE deal. While I do think I play better with the Aerox than I do with my Basilisk or Model D, if I had to put a number on it I'd say 5% better, 10% at most.

Mouse is critical. If you have one you really like, keep it.
I did eventually upgrade, but I used an intellimouse 2000 for almost 20 years. Great mouse.

Yeah mouse matters, but as long as it's decent it's not going to make a huge difference. If you have noticable mouse lag, clicks aren't working, a sensor can't keep up with fast flicks, then a new mouse will make a difference.

I would say in general any gaming mouse is going to be good enough. Getting better mouse can only improve your accuracy and quickness by a tiny percentage.

A much bigger factor is typically mouse settings. Having things like acceleration, smoothing and, sensitivity and DPI that are too high can actually put a huge limitation on how quick and accurate you are.
And in combination with that, having too small of an area for your mouse, doing tiny rist movements for everything, having a wobbly mouse surface or dirty, rough surface are also very limiting.

Once you get everything setup correctly it just comes down to the skill of the user.

Sensor accuracy, etc, became a non-issue a very long time ago. I have a first generation Microsoft intellimouse explorer that still works. It's probably my oldest non-ball mouse and dates back to 1999 or 2000. I remember using that mouse at LAN parties for Quake 3 and UT instagib matches where accuracy obviously was a big factor, and it never let me down.

My oldest mouse that is still in active usage is a Logitech MX310 from ~2003. It still works just as well as when it was new, except for the paint being worn out in several locations. I used a Creative Fatal1ty 2020 Laser mouse (released in 2006) for a very long time. I kept buying them until I couldn't even find them on eBay anymore. I loved this mouse because it was one of the few at the time that had the ring-finger button as an actual 3rd mouse button (not a tiny side button). Unfortunately they would each only last a year or two until the main buttons would start to wear out. I finally switched to a Logitech G600 which is sort of similar (thankfully still a current model, for now).

IMO, buying a mouse is mainly about personal preferences and construction quality at this point. If your old mouse still does well in those categories then keep it.

I used a pair of Razer Diamondback mice from 2004 until 2021 when I finally upgraded to the Viper. I have 2 of them: Viper V2 Pro wireless and Viper 8KHz.

I used a pair of Razer Diamondback mice from 2004 until 2021 when I finally upgraded to the Viper. I have 2 of them: Viper V2 Pro wireless and Viper 8KHz.
Worthwhile upgrade for you? Have you noticed a difference in all games, or particular ones?

Worthwhile upgrade for you? Have you noticed a difference in all games, or particular ones?
Definitely, especially the Viper V2. Loved my Diamondbacks, but they were showing their age. If you're interested in trying them, get the Viper 8K first. It can be found for as little as $35-$40 at Best Buy, Amazon, or eBay. The V2 is expensive at $150. I found it on sale at BB for $99 and had $30 in reward certificates to ease the expense. I wouldn't buy any mouse for $150.

For casual online gaming and single player then it is enough that the mouse is comfortable and sensor doesn't have major issues. For competitive gaming the mouse makes a large difference (good shape, good sensor and low weight are important).

If your mouse buttons work great and you are happy with your current mouse, for heavens sake dont change mouse!

I went through a lot of mice to find a comfortable one as I have a weird grip so a lot of them don't feel right. I went with something close to my favorite shape (the MS Intellimouse - I have a 1.0 and 3.0 that work still but 800dpi is too low).

I ended up with the Logitech G Pro superlight. Yes, it was expensive, especially because my fruity ass went for the magenta one because its amazing. I love this mouse, its so light, wireless, no extra buttons or RGB lights, battery lasts for weeks at a time, and the software isn't as in your face as Razer. Very happy with this thing and I will probably buy another just to have a backup. If you have something you like just stick with it.

Still using a G502 Proteus, no where near as ancient as some of the mice some of you guys are using... But overall I see no reason to go for the newer models. I don't even use over a 1500 DPI setting (and that's on the highest profile, ranging from 450 to 1500 over the spread of four or five variants)... All this marketing hype for the (25k sensor) is highly irrelevant for me.

So, not sure upgrading to a new one just because it's new is money well spent on my part. When it breaks? Sure thing, back to the G502 again( maybe even the wireless variant).

As well - I picked up the G604 for cheap this week just to try out wireless for gaming. And so far it's nice. But the feel of my G502 just reigns supreme.

I also picked up the X12 for like $12, just because it's cheap AF. Literally doesn't feel worth much more. An ambidextrous mouse is just weird AF to hold.

Overall - I suspect I'll be rotating here and there from the G604 and back the G502 over time. But I don't think I need anything really else.

Last edited:
I like the super light wireless mouse from Logitech I've had for the past couple years, but I used a wired MX518 for like a million years.

Still using a G502 Proteus, no where near as ancient as some of the mice some of you guys are using... But overall I see no reason to go for the newer models. I don't even use over a 1500 DPI setting (and that's on the highest profile, ranging from 450 to 1500 over the spread of four or five variants)... All this marketing hype for the (25k sensor) is highly irrelevant for me.

So, not sure upgrading to a new one just because it's new is money well spent on my part. When it breaks? Sure thing, back to the G502 again( maybe even the wireless variant).

As well - I picked up the G604 for cheap this week just to try out wireless for gaming. And so far it's nice. But the feel of my G502 just reigns supreme.

I also picked up the X12 for like $12, just because it's cheap AF. Literally doesn't feel worth much more. An ambidextrous mouse is just weird AF to hold.

Overall - I suspect I'll be rotating here and there from the G604 and back the G502 over time. But I don't think I need anything really else.
I guess you missed that the G502 X just came out a few weeks ago.

I got mine a couple days ago, love it.

I tried a few things after dropping Razer like it was covered in skunk spray and wound up settling on Microsoft for accessories. I've been impressed with all the stuff except the new Arc mouse, which won't let you right- and left-click at the same time.

Useless for gaming on the go.

I guess you missed that the G502 X just came out a few weeks ago.

I got mine a couple days ago, love it.
I saw that - are you using the wireless pad to go along with it? USB C charging is a nice touch.

I saw that - are you using the wireless pad to go along with it? USB C charging is a nice touch.
Yeah I have had the power play mat since it came out a few years ago, it works great. I used it with the G903 before. Never have to worry about charging and no cord dragging around. It also has the a wireless receiver built into it so no worries about interference when it's right next to the mouse.

The 903 came with a nice braided cord with specifically shaped plastic to keep it secure to the mouse so it was actually pretty good if you needed to use it wired, the 502 x just has a regular cord even though it is upgraded to USB C instead of micro. It wouldn't be a good corded experience I think it would get loose and eventually slip out with jerky movements. Not a problem with the wireless charging mat and the battery probably lasts weeks even without it so not really an issue though.

I just had a look at the G502 X "wired" with optical switches and was about to buy but noticed it has no LEDs apart from a small green powered on.
WTF?
The only mouse of the series that doesnt give a damn about extra power used by LEDs is the wired and it doesnt have any, its completely dark.
I wont be replacing my G502 Hero RGB with that, no sale.

Yeah I have had the power play mat since it came out a few years ago, it works great. I used it with the G903 before. Never have to worry about charging and no cord dragging around. It also has the a wireless receiver built into it so no worries about interference when it's right next to the mouse.

The 903 came with a nice braided cord with specifically shaped plastic to keep it secure to the mouse so it was actually pretty good if you needed to use it wired, the 502 x just has a regular cord even though it is upgraded to USB C instead of micro. It wouldn't be a good corded experience I think it would get loose and eventually slip out with jerky movements. Not a problem with the wireless charging mat and the battery probably lasts weeks even without it so not really an issue though.
Having the sensor on the pad is something I didn't know and think that pumps up the value quite a bit. I'll look into some deals if they ever come up.

Use what works for you. I've hated all mice and now I have one I absolutely adore (Logitech Pro X Superlight). Use it until it dies then find another one you like.

I used to swear by a Logitech mouse that I used for nearly a decade, but then I fell in love with the Xtrfy M42 last year and have never looked back.

I find them critical.......

FOR CAT TRAINING, hehehehe :)

But for computer usage...just get the one that feels good to YOU and does what you need it to do, and be happy.....

Personally, I really like my MX Master 3's... all 6 of them !

Back