• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does mATX Intel boards support 8GB ddr2?

Look at my sig, I've been running 8GB in my P5K-VM since I put my system together.
 
hieratic = erratic

Spelling lesson over, why would you want to? Even on Vista 64-bit, any 32-bit app can only address 2GB of RAM a once and 99% of apps are still 32-bit. Honestly, there isn't much need for 4GB and you have to run crappier timings and waste more money to run anything higher.
 
Even on Vista 64-bit, any 32-bit app can only address 2GB of RAM a once and 99% of apps are still 32-bit.

Not entirely true - any 32-bit app compiled with the LARGEADDRESSAWARE linker flag can address 4GB of RAM in XP Pro x64 or Vista x64. Games that are LARGEADDRESSAWARE include (but may not be limited to):

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Company of Heroes
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

The 64-bit native games I know of, which can use up to 128GB of RAM right now:

Half-Life 2 series
Chronicles of Riddick
Unreal Tournament 2004
Farcry
Crysis
 
Not entirely true - any 32-bit app compiled with the LARGEADDRESSAWARE linker flag can address 4GB of RAM in XP Pro x64 or Vista x64. Games that are LARGEADDRESSAWARE include (but may not be limited to):

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Company of Heroes
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

The 64-bit native games I know of, which can use up to 128GB of RAM right now:

Half-Life 2 series
Chronicles of Riddick
Unreal Tournament 2004
Farcry
Crysis

Supreme Commander?
 
Well I guess I learned something... although the only games in that list I can see that might actually make use of 4GB of RAM would be STALKER, Crysis and possibly CoR. As for 8GB - total waste.
 
As for 8GB - total waste.

I wouldn't call 8GB a total waste - even in games that don't use a lot of memory, having 8GB drastically reduces load times for any game content which was recently loaded into RAM (i.e. anytime you have to re-load a save game or go back a bit, it will load up almost instantly). And for that really small group of people who play more than one MMO at once on a computer at a time (i.e. two characters at the same time), 8GB of RAM would work very well for that.

The other side-benefit of 64-bit worth mentioning is that the I/O driver space can get loaded high, so that even if you have only 4GB of RAM, you can use all 4GB, and you don't end up with 3.2GB, 3.0GB, or 2.5GB of usable RAM out of 4GB as can happen in 32-bit Windows.
 
Is this where you pulled this from? The entire install of Crysis is only 6GB! Not only that, but the timings you would have to run would be wretched and you would lose bandwidth. How about some benches...
 
Is this where you pulled this from? The entire install of Crysis is only 6GB! Not only that, but the timings you would have to run would be wretched and you would lose bandwidth. How about some benches...

That article is only about 2GB/4GB, not 8GB, and is about Vista, my system runs XP x64.

Yes, Crysis is 6.44GB installed, however install size isn't an indicator of how much memory a program takes while it's running. A perfect example of this is .kkrieger, the first-person shooter computer game created by a German demogroup that won first place in the 96k game competition at Breakpoint back in 2004. Minimum system requirements include 512MB of RAM. That being said, in DX9 with settings on high Crysis 64-bit typically uses around 2GB of RAM from what I've seen.

It's a common misconception that RAM timings make a big difference in game performance (it's a fabulous way to get people to pay a lot of money for RAM, though). I paid $140 for 8GB (4 x 2GB) of CAS 5 1.8V DDR2 - I keep my ram within the JEDEC standards.

If there's a specific benchmark or set of benchmarks you'd like me to run on my gaming system, let me know.
 
I know timings are overrated, but based on how much they would have to be loosened, it would probably be about 5% difference for no gain and thrice the cost - possibly more for the high density sticks.

Cached Crysis load time with 4GB and 8GB is what I would be interested in. Just be honest, that's all I am asking.
 
I know timings are overrated, but based on how much they would have to be loosened, it would probably be about 5% difference for no gain and thrice the cost - possibly more for the high density sticks.

Cached Crysis load time with 4GB and 8GB is what I would be interested in. Just be honest, that's all I am asking.

I'd be interested in that as well. Most people who go for more than 4Gb RAM use it for other things than gaming.
 
just to throw my .02 into the fray...

I recently upgraded to 8gb of ram, not because I needed to but because it's so cheap. One idea i stumbled across has actually panned out and paid off.

I'm one of the few people that regularly play RF online (expecting flame). Unfortunately, the caching of the game is designed to only load character information as needed on the fly, no prediction at all. So when i go into war for the first time, and run into an enemy army of 30-hundreds of unique characters from another race, the game will lag horrendusly for several seconds (race lag) while it trys to load all of the info from disk.

So, I loaded up a ram drive, installed the game client to it, and poof, lag is gone. Considering how much I play, I think it was an $80 upgrade well spent.

this likely could be circumvented with some better optomized client code, but i'm not holding my breath on that, lol.
 
Back
Top