Does it Still Make Sense to Buy a Desktop PC?

Only when you are jealous of my magnificent PowerPC system in my sig. ;) Also, I had respect for Compaq before they were bought up by HP, so sad.

I guess your PowerPC is okay. It's not really Pentium III-ish enough to be truly awesome though. Anyhow, I never really had any opinion about Compaq or HP or anyone else. They all buy parts from the same suppliers and Quanta pretty much puts it all together to specification for them, Dell, Apple, and everyone else. Meh...same parts with different company stickers.

I wouldn't call it 'flipping out', but the desktop is definitely on the decline for the masses.

No...flipping out...you! *sticks fingers in ears* TRALALALALALALA!!!!! I can't heeear yooou! :)

No...flipping out...you! *sticks fingers in ears* TRALALALALALALA!!!!! I can't heeear yooou! :)
Um...

Disclaimer: The above post probably contains trolling.
Hoooooo!!!! :D

troll_dance.gif

Has [H] done a survey lately as to what % of the posts made here are via desktop, laptop, and mobile device?

Anyone here who admits to selling their desktop to get a laptop and that they don't game any more.

/voteban?

My thoughts echo those of many who have posted already. Desktops in the future will be more of a niche market than they are now. I believe they will stick around. Will we still be here? Gaming on them? No idea. Maybe. Tough to predict.

If I didn't play games I could probably get by with a laptop. That said for portability the phone takes care of everything I need. No interest in carting a laptop around with me or even a tablet honestly.

If it were up to me I'd like to see desktops continue to do alright and phones/tablets take care of the portability angle. If that were to happen it would be the laptop that might be "in trouble" so to speak.

The future is difficult to predict save the one thing that seems fairly obvious. Desktop market share will continue to decline up to one point or another. Most of us hope that it will stick around well enough that we can keep up with our hobby.

Anyone here who admits to selling their desktop to get a laptop and that they don't game any more.

/voteban?

My thoughts echo those of many who have posted already. Desktops in the future will be more of a niche market than they are now. I believe they will stick around. Will we still be here? Gaming on them? No idea. Maybe. Tough to predict.

If I didn't play games I could probably get by with a laptop. That said for portability the phone takes care of everything I need. No interest in carting a laptop around with me or even a tablet honestly.

If it were up to me I'd like to see desktops continue to do alright and phones/tablets take care of the portability angle. If that were to happen it would be the laptop that might be "in trouble" so to speak.

The future is difficult to predict save the one thing that seems fairly obvious. Desktop market share will continue to decline up to one point or another. Most of us hope that it will stick around well enough that we can keep up with our hobby.

I have 3 laptops and 5 desktops and a media center at home. Two of them are gaming desktops - one has a Phenom II x3 720 and AMD Radeon HD 4980, and another a first gen Core i5 and Geforce 460. Good enough for the games we play.

I use my HP Folio 13 laptop majority of the time because it's my work computer, so yeah, I'm on it 8+ hours a day while I'm on my game computers less than 2 hours a day, if that.

Ban me and you will face my wrath! :mad:

:D

The problem will get to be, as desktops become more and more niche the price goes up. In addition to that you will have the problem of integration. The main reason we love desktops is swapping out parts. But look at laptops, and even desktops, alot of stuff is integrated on to the motherboard. Eventually I can difinitely see a time where we have no choice but to buy motherboards that bundle the GPU, CPU, and ram and everything is like apple where its a huge upsell. You cannot decide I want to cut cost on the ram and CPU to get more GPU you just get a whole package all soldered together and you have to pay alot more for it.

This is essentially what most mature industries do, think about cars, want leather, various upgrades they only come on the caddilac/lincoln/lexus, not the mass market cars. There is no reason other than forcing you to pay more for things to run like this, but it works because companies that do it make more money and then can advertise more.

I think the desktop will transform into more of a house computer, located somewhere in a closet or basement. Controlling appliances, lights, thermostat, security/surveillance, and playing audio/video to various screens and speakers around the house.

I also have concerns that as the market shrinks up not only will there be less development that we enjoy (new GPUs, etc.) the parts that are going to be there will cost a shit ton.

$2500 486DX systems anyone? We may be headed back that direction. :/

I also have concerns that as the market shrinks up not only will there be less development that we enjoy (new GPUs, etc.) the parts that are going to be there will cost a shit ton.

I recently built a machine and I'm afraid it's already starting. Video card, at least $200, motherboard, at least $200. CPU at least $400 Everything is $200 and over for the current gen. I remember being able to buy a motherboard for around $150 5 years ago for the current gen then. Something has to happen to change all this. Problem is, it's the blind leading us. The majority of the market share is not enthusiasts.

Plus you can play Angry Birds while your house is being broken into.

Just for the record, I'd never waste money on a home security system that actually did something aside from letting me play Angry Birds. (Well, maybe Farmville would be okay.)

Desktops won't go away or become niche. A Desktops 1000x bigger than a cell phone, with little power concerns, will always be way, way cheaper to build. There will always be people that want cheap computers, and for computers, more volume will always be cheaper.

The problem will get to be, as desktops become more and more niche the price goes up. In addition to that you will have the problem of integration. The main reason we love desktops is swapping out parts. But look at laptops, and even desktops, alot of stuff is integrated on to the motherboard. Eventually I can difinitely see a time where we have no choice but to buy motherboards that bundle the GPU, CPU, and ram and everything is like apple where its a huge upsell. You cannot decide I want to cut cost on the ram and CPU to get more GPU you just get a whole package all soldered together and you have to pay alot more for it.

This is essentially what most mature industries do, think about cars, want leather, various upgrades they only come on the caddilac/lincoln/lexus, not the mass market cars. There is no reason other than forcing you to pay more for things to run like this, but it works because companies that do it make more money and then can advertise more.

No, systems like that back in the late 80's, early 90's, were more like $4000-5000.
$2500 systems didn't seriously start to appear until about 1994/1995.

I don't think it will ever get that bad again, unless Apple takes over, and the only desktops available to anyone is the Mac Pro. :eek:
Then bam, we're back in 1991! :D

Back