Does it matter what slots you put ram into?

V4oLDbOY

Gawd
I want to get a 2x2gb ddr3 kit. But I have an aftermarket HSF and thus cannot use ram that has heatsinks on it as its too tall to fit under the HSF. But can I just move them over 2 slots.

instead of putting them in 1, 2. Why not 3, 4.

It depends on your chipset. Some I7 boards have to have certain spots populated based on the number of modules in order to post.

I want to get a 2x2gb ddr3 kit. But I have an aftermarket HSF and thus cannot use ram that has heatsinks on it as its too tall to fit under the HSF. But can I just move them over 2 slots.

instead of putting them in 1, 2. Why not 3, 4.

Probably so, check with your mobo.

I'd say try it and look in the bios if it posts to see what it is running at, may be fine may not be or it may not even post. Not going to damage anything though.

well the manual says

The four DDR3 memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following:
Channel 0: DDR3_1, DDR3_3
Channel 1: DDR3_2, DDR3_4

If two memory modules are to be installed, it is recommended that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets.

its pg 16 in the manual. http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-785gmt-usb3_e.pdf

I'm pretty sure it would be fine as there sia chart that says there are 2 options if you only have 2 sticks. slots 1,2. or 3,4. But it also says they recommend using 1,2. Does it make a difference you think?

I'm pretty sure it would be fine as there is a chart that says there are 2 options if you only have 2 sticks. slots 1,2. or 3,4. But it also says they recommend using 1,2. Does it make a difference you think?

It shouldn't. The easiest way to tell? Try it. :)

I made a post on the mushkin forums a while back about my ram and was told this "Most AM3s prefer the outer slots to be populated first and they tend to overclock better" (slots 3/4).

well the manual says

I'm pretty sure it would be fine as there sia chart that says there are 2 options if you only have 2 sticks. slots 1,2. or 3,4. But it also says they recommend using 1,2. Does it make a difference you think?

Yes it may work but it could hurt stability or ability to overclock. They designed it and know the chipset so follow what they recommend.

well I think I'm just going to buy some "cheaper" ram that come naked. Kingston value ram DDR3 1333.

Back