• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does Intel's Cool'n'Quiet works while OCing??

maverick786us

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
2,416
Intels Cool'n'Quiet is a CPU speed throttling and power saving technology for saving power and life expetency of a CPU in Idle state. Does it also works when I am Over Clocking it? I OC my E8400 @ 3.6 GHz and in future will OC it to 4.0 GHz or even more (if required in gaming).

On the other hand I also want my CPU to last for longer, I don't wanna punish my CPU. So does Intel Cool'n'Quiet downclocks in idle condition while OCing it (by increasing the FSB)?

If not, then is there any 3rd party software I can use, that could perform this task?I use TRUE to keep temprature in check? What all other measure I can take to increase the lifeline of my CPU while Over Clocking it?

Thanks in Advance
 
Cool'n'Quiet is an AMD feature. The Intel equivalent is called Speedstep.

It does indeed work while overclocked, but the voltage adjustment will not function if you manually set the Vcore to something other than Auto. It will decrease the CPU multiplier to 6 when the CPU is idle and raise it back up to 9 when you load it.
 
Technically it will, depending on how much extra juice you put into it. That being said, most of us would probably not notice any shortening of the CPU's life expectancy due to how quick hardware gets upgraded.
 
OK thanks. So does voltage adjustment effects the life expetency of CPU?
Yes, but not substantially enough to make a difference as long as you keep it within safe levels. The CPU will live well past its useful lifespan.
 
Back
Top