Does INTEL make an SLI-capable MB?

yogiB

Limp Gawd
I'd like to stick to Intel motherboards but haven't seen any models that support SLI. Have I missed something? If Intel does not have SLI MBs, why not? Any plans for them to make some?

Thanks.

no.

they dont have an SLI compatable chipset.

you are talking about intel branded mobos, and not just a mobo that will support an intel processor, right?

actually that is not entirely true there are several intel cpu boards that SLI works on (not designed for but they work) however these boards are incredibly expensive because they a socket 604 xeon boards with dual pci-e slots if you can afford a xeon then go ahead...first i would send a pm to kyle_bennet about it because he will probably know alot more about it (i remember a review he did that they used sli on a xeon board)

Intel boards, no.
Pentium4 boards, yes.

The new nForce4 SLI DR is for Intel cpus. I would expect to see them on the market by the end of the quarter.

cell_491 said:
actually that is not entirely true there are several intel cpu boards that SLI works on (not designed for but they work) however these boards are incredibly expensive because they a socket 604 xeon boards with dual pci-e slots if you can afford a xeon then go ahead...first i would send a pm to kyle_bennet about it because he will probably know alot more about it (i remember a review he did that they used sli on a xeon board)
they arent made by intel, are they?

not sure if they are intel branded but they are for intel cpu's?? maybe intel makes one but i dont think thats what he meant

i sure do think thats what he meant, otherwise the question would have been phrased "are there any pentium4 motherboards that support SLI?" not "does intel make SLI boards?"

i think he wants an intel branded SLI board.

lithium726 said:
i sure do think thats what he meant, otherwise the question would have been phrased "are there any pentium4 motherboards that support SLI?" not "does intel make SLI boards?"

i think he wants an intel branded SLI board.
if someone was an intel !!!!!! the may not care wether or not its a p4 as long as its an intel so titling it "are there any pentium4 motherboards that support SLI?" wouldnt cover his real question...see what i mean

cell_491 said:
if someone was an intel !!!!!! the may not care wether or not its a p4 as long as its an intel so titling it "are there any pentium4 motherboards that support SLI?" wouldnt cover his real question...see what i mean
not at all. there are no xeon or p-m boards made by intel that support SLI either.

cell_491 said:
i dont feel "p3wned" at all. the intel spec sheet clearly states "1 x16 slot and 1 x4 slot)

i had no way of knowing this "AECHELON TECHNOLOGY" supported it in syustems THAT ARENT EVEN AVALIABLE IN RETAIL!

bottom line is, im not arguing this anymore becuase its obvoius we arent talking about anything this guy will bevinterested in, and this THREAD HIJACK has gone far enough/.

maybe on that particular board which i did not post but there are xeon boards that work with sli plain and simple

great, so now youve proved that two proprietary boards exist taht support SLI. wonderful. please point me to where i can buy these on newegg. can we please get back to the damn topic? he didnt ask about freaking xeons, why the fuck are we talking about xeons?

and no, your feeble attempts to "own" me have done nothing to my self esteem
rolleyes.gif

and in both systems you linked to, you gave examples of propritary motherboards for Alienware and some company ive never heard of, neither of which he is going to buy from and neither of which are Intel made boards. i think if he wanted dual xeons, he wouldve asked for a dual xeon board, not every n00b who asks a generalized question about a motherboard is looking for a proprietary motherboard taht features SLI that may or may not have been made by intel and has a pricetag on it the size of fat albert's ass.

the fact is, that you havent linked to anything intel made that sports SLI, which makes all your comments utterly worthless to this thread(until, of course, you can actually link to something). intel does not make SLI boards right now, and it seems they only have one SERVER chipset that even supports it, as i know that 915/25/45/55 do not, and anyone that has a budget wont be going for an SLI rig (well period...) with dual xeons... if youre gaming and want a dual, opterons would kick the xeon's ass.

and the intel board you linked too has one x16 slot.

retort however you like, this is my last comment in your direction, as this conversation is utterly worthless and has nothing to do with the topic at hand. hopefully the OP will clarify and we can help him. till then, im out.

freecableguy said:
The answer to the original question is YES. And yes, you can buy it right now.
linkage? newegg search for an intel board with 2 x16 slots turned up nothing

the alienware uses an intel reference board :rolleyes: and you dont need dual 16x to run sli it will work with a 16x and 4x (do you think nf4 sli uses two 16x slots NO it runs them it 8x mode) not the small 4x the normal size 4x by the way

cell_491 said:
the alienware uses an intel reference board :rolleyes: and you dont need dual 16x to run sli it will work with a 16x and 4x (do you think nf4 sli uses two 16x slots NO it runs them it 8x mode) not the small 4x the normal size 4x by the way
to do that you need to take a dremel to the slot. we dont know if hte OP wants to do that or not, do we? i would assume, since he wants an intel board, he wnats something rock solid stable that he can plug and and have it work. nowhere on teh alienware site does it say that they use an intel board, at least i didnt see that. all i saw was a reference to the chipset. that still doesnt take away the fact that you have to BUY the alienware to get the board.

and yes, the nf4 sli does use dual x16 slots. it just gives them both the bandwidth of an 8x slot.

my dfi has a 16x/8x slot and 2x/8x slot wich is similar to that board because it has a 16x slot and a 16x slot that is set to run at 4x. By the way do you really think alienware is capable of making their own mother board i mean come on they are just a system builder

i didnt say alienware built it, i said it was a custom board for alienware. the board they are using is not avaliable in retail. as far as just a systembuilder, ever heard of that vaporware SLI software thing they came up with? im pretty sure that goes out of the realm of "OEM (system builder)

also, look at the intel board. it has one 16x and then one physical 4x slot, which you would have to dremel to have a 16x card fall into. it is not possible to run that board with an SLI config without modifications, if at all. the DFI has two 16x slots. in a single gfx card config, the first (a PEG slot) gets full 16x bandwidth. when in SLI, the first and second get 8x bandwidth, but they are both of the 16x formfactor.

lithium726 said:
to do that you need to take a dremel to the slot. we dont know if hte OP wants to do that or not, do we? i would assume, since he wants an intel board, he wnats something rock solid stable that he can plug and and have it work. nowhere on teh alienware site does it say that they use an intel board, at least i didnt see that. all i saw was a reference to the chipset. that still doesnt take away the fact that you have to BUY the alienware to get the board.

and yes, the nf4 sli does use dual x16 slots. it just gives them both the bandwidth of an 8x slot.

Ok to settle this once and for all..

http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20041130/index.html

Supermicro makes one also. It will physically work in SLI..

http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/nocona

really, cuase i see one x16 and x4

http://www.de.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20041126/images/intel_board_big.jpg

i know it doenst use the bandwidth, but it does need a physical slot to fit. (for those that missed it, he edited his post. he claimed the board he linked had two x16 slots..)

edit: the gigabyte board isnt an intel board. also, you cant buy it yet. in addition to that, the i915 doesnt nativly support SLI, they had to pullsome crazy workaround, and gernally, gigabyte boards suck.

dude alot of the xeon boards are sli capable ive seen them all over the place and now there is a 915p board that is sli capable...

cell_491 said:
THANK YOU...someone who actually knows what they are talking about
rather, someone who agrees with you
rolleyes.gif

dude alot of the xeon boards are sli capable ive seen them all over the place and now there is a 915p board that is sli capable...
please, link me to one! and the i915 board is used with a workaround, the i915 does not nativly support it. my point still stands.

lithium726 said:
really, cuase i see one x16 and x4

http://www.de.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20041126/images/intel_board_big.jpg

i know it doenst use the bandwidth, but it does need a physical slot to fit. (for those that missed it, he edited his post. he claimed the board he linked had two x16 slots..)

edit: the gigabyte board isnt an intel board. also, you cant buy it yet. in addition to that, the i915 doesnt nativly support SLI, they had to pullsome crazy workaround, and gernally, gigabyte boards suck.

Yes I posted the wrong link to the board I wanted to show. I know there is an Tumwater chipset board with 2 physical x16 slots. Im looking for it now.

please, link me to one! and the i915 board is used with a workaround, the i915 does not nativly support it. my point still stands
there are currently no boards that natively support SLI (ther might be but i havent seen one) but there are boards that sli happens to work on...dont know why it works but it just does.

Guys,

I'm sorry if my original question was subject to interpretation. What I wanted to know was whether Intel makes boards (Intel-branded) that are SLI capable (i.e. with dual x16 PCI-e slots).

Right now I use an Intel D915GAV board with 3.6GHz Prescott. I was wondering if I'll be able to go SLI while sticking to Intel (board & proc),

If there are no Intel-branded boards out there, why not? Do they have any plans of jumping in the SLI wagon any time soon?

Thanks.

There are no INTEL chipsets that support SLI allthough boards that have DUAL x16 slots, that doesnt mean SLI will work unless certified by Nvidia. I doubt people will spend several thousand $'s on a system that MAY work in SLI. Those pci-e slots on those mobo's are really meant for high performance SCSI/SATA/LAN/(and SAS when it arrives) controllers.

The only official SLI chipset is nvidia's intel version, dono about VIA.

Correction the TUMWATER is SLI capable but id contact supermicro to make sure.

I'm sorry if my original question was subject to interpretation. What I wanted to know was whether Intel makes boards (Intel-branded) that are SLI capable (i.e. with dual x16 PCI-e slots).
there wont be any for a while. none of the intel DESKTOP chipsets support SLI, and i doubt intel is going to start making boards based on nf4 SLI.

Back