does having a tv card = a tivo?

Steve_010

Fully [H]
Lets say I had a tv card and like an 80gig drive. Is there any software or anything that would make it like a tivo in that I could pause live tv, etc. etc.?

Yep, if you have a capture card, you can record TV. Depending on what your card is, it may have come with some software that would work great. If you don't want that, some options are SnapStream , Sage TV , and FreeVO.

Depending on what you go with, you may get different options. Oviously, your choice should be the one that fits you the bast. Realize that FreeVO may be Free, but may not be the best in the world.

If you have an AIW or a ATI TV Tuner Card, then you already have what you need.

The HDD only matters when it comes down to how much you want to be able to hold. You could have 4GBs, or you could have 500GBs...it doesn't really matter...just realize that it does take a lot of space for raw footage...80GB should be fine though.

Originally posted by Pack Rat 24
Yep, if you have a capture card, you can record TV. Depending on what your card is, it may have come with some software that would work great. If you don't want that, some options are SnapStream , Sage TV , and FreeVO.

Depending on what you go with, you may get different options. Oviously, your choice should be the one that fits you the bast. Realize that FreeVO may be Free, but may not be the best in the world.

If you have an AIW or a ATI TV Tuner Card, then you already have what you need.

What he said.

/IoWnZa

Leadtek makes a sweet tv tuner card too...also, you have the actual video files easily accessible to modify, send to friends, etc. if you use your computer versus a tivo.

sweet so what if i threw together a small computer for like $100-$150 HDD and all with like a used leadtek tv tuner or something. Wouldnt that be better than a tivo?

You're not going to get the same effortless user interface with a computer setup as you would with a Tivo. I've got a Dish Network PVR Receiver, and I've been setting up a PVR computer for my brother. I've tried all the software out there and settled on MyHTPC (www.myhtpc.net) for it's ability to be customized and tweaked, oh yeah, and it's free :)

In comparison though, you're left with the feeling that it's just a hell of alot easier using a device that is completely designed for the task (Plus with the satellite provider PVRs you get a MUCH better picture than plugging standard cable into a TV tuner since it uses straight MPEG2 stream). There are some advantages to having it on the computer - mainly that you can keep an archive of everything you record, burn to CD or DVD, email clips to friends, etc. But to get that added functionality you lose ease of use.

Back