Does Haswell heat your case?

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
It's obvious Haswell and Devil's Canyon cpus run hot, but do they actually output more overall heat than ivy bridge and sandy bridge? Or do they simply run hot due to their die shrink, thus heat dispensation is more difficult?

Heat from die shrink but mostly they run hot because of the crappy TIM used instead of solder between the die and the heat spreader. They can run quite a bit cooler after delidding or using direct die cooling.

Nah, my i5 cores run a cool 90F at idle [coretemp], cpu around 75f as does my Lian-Li case.

Even during hard gaming they only reach around 135F with the stock sink/fan.

Not really, the heat transfer is the big issue. My delid CPU runs really, really cool. Before delid my liquid temps were much lower than after the delid, since the heat is actually getting where it needs to go now.

Nope, I think haswell runs great. No noticeable head on either my 4570 or my 4770k. Love it!

The amount of power consumed is the ONLY thing that makes ANY difference on how hot your case gets. The CPU could operate at Planck temperature but if it only uses 5W of power to do it then you wouldn't even need a CPU fan.

The CPU could operate at Planck temperature but if it only uses 5W of power to do it then you wouldn't even need a CPU fan.

I had to google that.

Some physicists posit that the highest temperature is Planck Temperature. They claim it is the highest possible temperature that matter could theoretically exist at. It is approximately 1.41679 x 10^32 Kelvin. That’s roughly 100 million million million million million degrees. For comparison, the center of our sun bubbles along at chilly 15 million degrees °C.

The amount of power consumed is the ONLY thing that makes ANY difference on how hot your case gets. The CPU could operate at Planck temperature but if it only uses 5W of power to do it then you wouldn't even need a CPU fan.

Ummm.. no.

Airflow makes a huge difference.

I can take a computer that uses a lot of power, seal it off, and it will bake itself really quickly. Evan a low power computer will cook itself under full load or extended regular use if there is no airflow to move the heat out of the case.

Put the proper amount of airflow though the case and it will run at a max of 1-2C above ambient.

I know they're refresh models, but my i5-4690k never breaks 60C and my i5-4590 never breaks 50C while gaming (and the 4590 is in a tight case with only two fans... but has a good aftermarket cooler).

Ummm.. no.

Airflow makes a huge difference.

I can take a computer that uses a lot of power, seal it off, and it will bake itself really quickly. Evan a low power computer will cook itself under full load or extended regular use if there is no airflow to move the heat out of the case.

Put the proper amount of airflow though the case and it will run at a max of 1-2C above ambient.

You're right I did phrase that poorly for people that are incapable of reading things in the context of the question asked.

All other things equal, [strike=]T[/s]the amount of power consumed is the ONLY thing that makes ANY difference on how [strike=]hot your case gets[/s] how much heat is dissipated into your case. The CPU could operate at Planck temperature but if it only uses 5W of power to do it then you wouldn't even need a CPU fan.

Not really, the heat transfer is the big issue. My delid CPU runs really, really cool. Before delid my liquid temps were much lower than after the delid, since the heat is actually getting where it needs to go now.

You have a link for your delid process? Looking to go Intel and may be interested. The reduced height didn't effect your cooler contact?

Back