Does Firefox 5.01 run really SLOW?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
It's moving at 5 miles / min. here, Fire fox 3.6 was much faster. Does any1 else notices that?

Only issue that I've had with FF4 > 5.0.1 are that at random times it'll choke one core of my dual core laptop - I've narrowed the specific process/handle/thread down to something going on with the MOZCRT19.DLL file but, I can't get anything else figured out. Of course, the Mozilla support forums are useless in most respects and don't offer any info so maybe it's just my particular installation of FF 5.0.1, and it just started happening about a week ago.

Checked the signatures on the file, it's clean, had it tested with several online virus scanners, nothing turns up, yet that one file is where the problem is coming from. I did use Process Explorer to get it narrowed down but, I've gone as far as I can at this point.

Other than that one issue (random freezes, and only freezes - the browser doesn't crash), I've had no issues: it works basically the same for me as FF4 did when I started using that months ago.

I actually noticed the opposite: 5 appeared to be much faster than previous version to me.

I'm sticking with Firefox 5.01 since 6.0 beta breaks some plugins and 7.0a2 beta (Aurora) broke all the plugins especially Session Manager. I was using 7.0a1 before.

The Flash issue I've been having with FF 5.01 seems to have been fixed with the most recent Flash update (10.3.181.34) from a few days ago thankfully. So far, it seems to be working smoothly and Youtube and other Flash-heavy sites don't crash upon loading Firefox now.

Also, I advise against using NoScript unless it's been updated. I've had performance issues with it since FF3.5 such as blinking cursor or jumpy text being entered into form fields.

Blinking cursor issue: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ssGcgXCrU"]‪Firefox 4 Blinking Cursor Issue‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

It didn't take me until FF4.01 to realize it was NoScript causing that issue above. It gets even worse when you have more than 10 tabs open and the browser inches forward like waiting for a steamroller to cross the street. It seems that monitoring multiple tabs and the hundreds of scripts loaded by them will slow FF down.

FF 5.01 seems/feels faster than FF 4 and noticeably faster than FF 3.x.

I can't wait for FF 7 to be released though. For the brief few moments that I had FF Aurora (7.0a2) installed, it was much faster than FF 5. Mozilla implemented a new method at freeing up memory especially from Javascript that lingers around in RAM and not being freed up completely. The surprising thing about it: RAM usage dropped by approximately 22-25%. It was an odd feeling seeing FF using less than 1 GB of RAM for the first time since FF 3 was released..

It seems my thread on their support forum caught their attention or their bug testers finally put in a good suggestion.

(Thread in question: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/820139#answer-180868)

Only issue that I've had with FF4 > 5.0.1 are that at random times it'll choke one core of my dual core laptop - I've narrowed the specific process/handle/thread down to something going on with the MOZCRT19.DLL file but, I can't get anything else figured out.

With a quick and dirty google for "MOZCRT19.DLL cpu", I found this thread:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1051035

Something about "localhost loopback connections" but I don't understand it at all.

With a quick and dirty google for "MOZCRT19.DLL cpu", I found this thread:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1051035

Something about "localhost loopback connections" but I don't understand it at all.

Yah, I was all over the forums and a few dozen other sites, I've seen that thread and the 3 or 4 others at the forums, none of it offers any help at all. Going to do a clean install later (restore from image) and try the same current portable copy of Firefox 5.0.1 I have and also an older one that didn't suffer from the random freezes and see if anything changes.

Worse comes to worse I'll just drop back to my 4.0.1 install - it's pretty much the same exact thing anyway, they're saying the 5.0.1 release (up from 5.0.0) is just to fix some issues on OSX only and has no change on Windows or Linux, but the issue started happening long before the 5.0.1 update came out.

This is the first time in my using Firefox (since v1.0 long ago) that I've had a single problem, honestly. It's not going to make me stop using Firefox, hell no, but it is a bit aggravating since I'm the only one that seems to be having it - or at least trying to resolve it for my own sake.

I am force to upgrade to 5.01 because ver. 3.6 and ver. 2.0 crashes and causes BSOD on my computer when I play on line games at facebook

so I'm hoping ver. 5 doesn't crash

So far, I hate the HOME button is at the far right instead of the center of the software.

As to load up, last night seems slower than ver 3.6

You do realize - hopefully - that Firefox is the most customizable browser that's ever been made, right? You can make it look any way you want, seriously, it just requires a little effort on your part to learn how to customize it using tools like Scriptish or Stylish, different themes, graphics, even icons.

And you can move the "Home" icon wherever you want as well... spend some time trying out playing around with some of the options. Right click on the Toolbars and choose Customize and make it your browser, customized just for you.

5.01 just crash on me w/ the BSOD. Somethings never change. All I did is to click the submit button on a sign petition on an animal right group web page.

And thanks Joe, I just move the home button to the left. Good tip

speaking of customization, is there a way to move the item on the pull down menu? In ver. 3.6, the New Windows item is just below the File button, but in 5.0, they switch to New Tab instead.

But I'm used to the other way around. Can that be change?

I have had it just crash a few times on a few different PCs, using it one minute the next its gone! and the error report pops up.

Mine was working fine but I switched back to Chrome yesterday just for a change of scenery. I usually switch between FF, Chrome and IE9 about once a month just to have something different to look at. They all run pretty much the same for me.

that's funny. Because I have the crash in ver. 3.6., and in that mozilla thread, they said they have this problem when they upgrade to ver 4. So I never install ver. 4. But now it looks like we have this same problem regardless of what ver. it is

Only issue that I've had with FF4 > 5.0.1 are that at random times it'll choke one core of my dual core laptop - I've narrowed the specific process/handle/thread down to something going on with the MOZCRT19.DLL file but, I can't get anything else figured out.

I've been getting this too recently. On version 5.0. The weird thing is that it wasn't happening for the first few weeks and now it's all of a sudden. I've done nothing different, have the same scripts, extensions, etc installed with no changes.

I've been getting this too recently. On version 5.0. The weird thing is that it wasn't happening for the first few weeks and now it's all of a sudden. I've done nothing different, have the same scripts, extensions, etc installed with no changes.

Exactly my situation. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro a few days ago and did a clean installation of Firefox 5.0.1 Portable (and that's the first brand new clean installation of Firefox I've done in well over 2 years), and restored it basically to the exact same condition as the previous one that was giving me those random freezes, including the exact same addons/plugins (even verified they were all the same versions):

After 2 days the "new" clean installation hasn't given me one lick of trouble, not one lockup, not one random freeze, etc. I make backups of that folder (since it's a portable version of Firefox, everything runs from the single folder so it's as easy as right-clicking, Add to archive and WinRAR bundles it up) every few hours just in case I do note the random freezing start again, hoping that if I back up the install (by opening one of the archives) I could potentially figure out just what the hell is going on.

So far so good... ;)

I had those random freezes and I upgraded to the 6.something beta version and they went away.

All good here. Nothing to report other than smooth & fast browsing.

Makes for a boring post, but it just works.

I was noticing that it was a bit on the slow side, so I disable GPU acceleration and now it's back to top speed again. Weird cause it was just fine till the upgrade.

All versions of Firefox run fine with a barebones install. The real test is with 20+ extensions and 50+ tabs, and leaving it open for a couple days at least.

Exactly my situation. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro a few days ago and did a clean installation of Firefox 5.0.1 Portable (and that's the first brand new clean installation of Firefox I've done in well over 2 years), and restored it basically to the exact same condition as the previous one that was giving me those random freezes, including the exact same addons/plugins (even verified they were all the same versions):

After 2 days the "new" clean installation hasn't given me one lick of trouble, not one lockup, not one random freeze, etc. I make backups of that folder (since it's a portable version of Firefox, everything runs from the single folder so it's as easy as right-clicking, Add to archive and WinRAR bundles it up) every few hours just in case I do note the random freezing start again, hoping that if I back up the install (by opening one of the archives) I could potentially figure out just what the hell is going on.

So far so good... ;)

Same here doing a portable version installed on the RamDisk. Have it set to auto backup every couple hours, then I save that to a thumb-drive every now and then. It's awesome aint it, long gone are the days of spending an hour to redo your browser and all it's settings after fresh os re-image/re-installs. :D

The freezes are a bit odd and happening more frequent and I'll get the hour glass effect, it's almost as if the delay were similar to a snapshot being taken by spyware, which of course we're clean. Looks like I'll redo mine as well just to make sure. Actually, I still have my old 4.xx version backed up in winrar too. Might just toss that back on for now. :D

I had those random freezes and I upgraded to the 6.something beta version and they went away.

that's an contradiction to AIM9x who post this on page 1:

I got a BSOD not long after I let FF upgrade to 6.

I found a thread at mozilla web site. People who got BSOD like me, were fine when they are using 3.x, then go BSOD at Ver. 4. I was using 2.x, 3.6, and I got BSOD. I want to jump to 4.0, but people said they got the BSOD at ver. 4. So I never move to 4.0

And now w/ 5.0, I already got BSOD on day 2. So I'm tempted to move down to ver. 4. As I don't see much changes from ver. 3.6 to 5.0

=============================

EDIT:

just now, I got a "502 bad gateway" when i try to log in to this web site

Now, I am downloading a few files from another software, and that used up most of the bandwidth. But I've been doing that for years. And w/ ver. 3.6, this web site will just load very slow. but never get the above error, I am also unable to load other websites as well tonight. Does any1 else has this problem?

Last edited:
Firefox 4.0.1 and 5.0.1 are for all practical intents and purposes the same browser, more or less. Very tiny differences (5.0.1 exists only to patch a bug in the OSX version, really - 5.0.0 and 5.0.1 are the same for Windows/Linux, just a different version number).

If you want to muck around with Firefox, I strongly suggest you use a portable version so it doesn't mess up what you'd already got installed and you can play with it as much as you want and delete it in a second flat - there's no need to "uninstall" it since it runs from a single folder named FirefoxPortable you can put anywhere you want.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Get it, run the "installer," pick the target directory (maybe the Desktop so it's easy to find) and have at it. Customize it any way you want, import the bookmarks, etc - when you're done with it, delete the folder, that's it.

It's more efficient and exactly the same Firefox without it messing up whatever you currently have installed.

As for the BSODs, I've never had any web browser over the years cause a BSOD - the app itself will and sometimes does crash (depending on the situation), but I have never seen a browser cause a BSOD directly. I would suspect something else might be going on in there.

Click the Start button, type the word reliability and when it appears on the Start Menu, select it and look at your Reliability history which will show you the past history of system errors, application errors, crashes, etc. It keeps a record of how well performing your OS has been working, and see if it shows a lot of problems for Firefox or whatever.

I'm willing to bet if a random BSOD is happening, it's not because of Firefox but something else entirely.

=============================

EDIT:

just now, I got a "502 bad gateway" when i try to log in to this web site

Now, I am downloading a few files from another software, and that used up most of the bandwidth. But I've been doing that for years. And w/ ver. 3.6, this web site will just load very slow. but never get the above error, I am also unable to load other websites as well tonight. Does any1 else has this problem?

The bad gateway is because the H forum is doing back ups during the night (your edit is earlier morning around the time they do the backups).

This has happened since as long as I have had FF but when loading a page with lots of pics for example it'll "freeze" for a minute or two, any fix?

This has happened since as long as I have had FF but when loading a page with lots of pics for example it'll "freeze" for a minute or two, any fix?

Did you try increasing the connections in the about:config? Fasterfox does the same thing. I don't remember what the Firefox defaults are but last I checked they were pretty low, increasing the number of arms makes things a lot faster. Setting max connections higher will help with multiple tabs but a router software that supports many connections will be needed. It's a good idea to keep persistent connections at 10 to be considerate of web servers, plus some of them won't allow you to have more and will deny access. At one point in time Firefox default was at I believe 2 persistent connections, so even 10 is five times quicker.

Last edited:
I just tried and no difference. It doesn't happen in IE.

Ya got me then :) Wonder what it could be.

I tossed my 4.0.1 back on and so far it's been good, no freezes.

I'm getting sick and tired of the constant "Not responding" then recover after 5 seconds when clicking links/opening new tabs, also firefox.exe - 392,732K, plugin-container.exe - 498,684K, I've got 1 Justin.tv window open with a video playing and 3 other tabs containing text only.
I'm also tired of downloading things and getting an error about how files cannot be saved because you cannot change the contents of that folder....my desktop

None of this happened in older versions, clearly a sign

One thing its doing on mine all of a sudden is logging me out whenever I leave a page. I keep having to sign in here. PC Gamer, Facebook and a couple others. Have tried clearing cookies and all that. Aggravating.

Last edited:
I'm getting sick and tired of the constant "Not responding" then recover after 5 seconds when clicking links/opening new tabs, also firefox.exe - 392,732K, plugin-container.exe - 498,684K, I've got 1 Justin.tv window open with a video playing and 3 other tabs containing text only.
I'm also tired of downloading things and getting an error about how files cannot be saved because you cannot change the contents of that folder....my desktop

None of this happened in older versions, clearly a sign

Ditto. I am just about to post this. When I was at firefox 3.6, I can download at max. speed from my newsleecher, and still hop to different web sites. W/ 5.0, I got the same error you got: Not responding, so I have to pause newsleecher to re-load the page.

Did you try increasing the connections in the about:config? Fasterfox does the same thing. I don't remember what the Firefox defaults are but last I checked they were pretty low, increasing the number of arms makes things a lot faster. Setting max connections higher will help with multiple tabs but a router software that supports many connections will be needed. It's a good idea to keep persistent connections at 10 to be considerate of web servers, plus some of them won't allow you to have more and will deny access. At one point in time Firefox default was at I believe 2 persistent connections, so even 10 is five times quicker.

what's the syntax in the about:config page?

I haven't had a single crash, freeze, or hitch with 5.01. 3.x used to start acting funny after a few weeks of uptime; haven't had the chance to run that long with 5.01 yet but it seems very stable so far.

As stated, Firefox 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 for all practical intents and purposes is the same as Firefox 5.0.0/5.0.1 barring a few tiny bug fixes. If you haven't tried the Firefox portable idea yet I strongly suggest maybe you do; it takes a few seconds to install in a new folder, it won't interfere with your current installation, and you can then muck around with it and see if the results are the same as your actual Firefox 5.0.1 installation.

I've seen a lost of posts for a lot of random little "issues" for you, Happy, maybe it's time to do a clean installation of your entire machine, top to bottom. I know for some folks it's like pulling teeth without anesthesia or pain killers, but sometimes it helps.

Also, click Start and type reliability then select the Reliability history and look at it: if your machine is not at 100% on the reliability monitor, and you see a ton of errors and crashes, then something else is going on with your system that's breaking things and causing you to ask for help so often. This installation of Windows 7 Pro for me is nearly 3 months old now and it's been at 100% reliability for the past 53 days (had an application crash that long ago, not one thing since).

I'm suspecting there's something else going on with your main machine these days... can't hurt to check into the reliability history and see if it's loaded with problems - that's what it's there for.

Back