Does File Type affect copy speed?

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
My IT guy was telling me that the type of file can affect download speeds across the network (LAN connection) to a local HD. Say if you have an image file vs. PDF vs whatever. I say hogwash. A 10-meg file, say, should be a 10-meg file no matter what. If there is any slight difference, then it would be minimal at best.

I was getting some problems with a large powerpoint file copying to my laptop from a server where my download speed started fine, then stalled and crept down to about 20 kb/sec. I tested the download several times and it would take MINUTES to copy sometimes and other times would even error out it was taking so long. Co-worker could download the exact same file in about 2-secs on his machine.

In same cases, he is right, but in this specific case something else is going on. There was a nasty issue with windows 8 that caused this, but it has been patched.

The above poster is correct, in your case something is fishy. But just so you know, 10MB is not the same for all files, as some are already compressed and some are not. A movie or MP3 file is usually compressed pretty well, while a document is not, so generally the document will transfer much faster because it will get compressed during transmission.

The above poster is correct, in your case something is fishy. But just so you know, 10MB is not the same for all files, as some are already compressed and some are not. A movie or MP3 file is usually compressed pretty well, while a document is not, so generally the document will transfer much faster because it will get compressed during transmission.

Huh? What compression are you talking about? No compression takes place on routers or switches.

OP: There is something else wrong with either your Win8 instlation or machine. Does this happen with all files or just this one file in particular. Does your co-worker also experience the same problem with that file when he or she tries to download it?

It was happening in a lot of stuff, so yes, the belief now is that there are switch problems on the IT infrastructure side, not my machine.

Again whatever some slight differences there may be, it would not cause the difference between a 2-sec download and a 1 min+ (or crash) download as in my case. That's why I was calling the IT guy out for BS.

As I said, the co-worker could open the file over the network (I couldn't), he also could copy it in a 2-sec download, where I was FAIL slow. Through HIS LAN port, not mine.

This file was just a sample of the issues. I kept telling the IT guy my whole SYSTEM was slow to respond over the LAN, not just this specific test file, but he kept focusing on the file itself (fail on his part). I was just using the file to show him the symptoms of the overall problem.

It was happening in a lot of stuff, so yes, the belief now is that there are switch problems on the IT infrastructure side, not my machine.

Again whatever some slight differences there may be, it would not cause the difference between a 2-sec download and a 1 min+ (or crash) download as in my case. That's why I was calling the IT guy out for BS.

As I said, the co-worker could open the file over the network (I couldn't), he also could copy it in a 2-sec download, where I was FAIL slow. Through HIS LAN port, not mine.

This file was just a sample of the issues. I kept telling the IT guy my whole SYSTEM was slow to respond over the LAN, not just this specific test file, but he kept focusing on the file itself (fail on his part). I was just using the file to show him the symptoms of the overall problem.

I would make sure that all of your important data is backed up. You might also want to check the health of the hard drive in your system. I've seen it too many times to count, odd system problems, and then dead hard dive.

the only case of file tupe matter that the system trying to open the file for what ever the reason is. so if you open image of 20 mb.it will load all the photo but for pdf is only the first page.
so copying will reading making things slow.
and try to check is it over lan only.

A VPN can allow for transport compression which might alter things. Else a 10MB file is a 10MB file.

. Else a 10MB file is a 10MB file.

Exactly what I said/say. A straight copy should not care what the file type is. Opening the file over a network with other linked images, etc. Then yes I believe there would speed differences.

While watching the download happen, it would read 5-7 mb/sec to start, then stall and slowly drop sometimes to 20 KB/sec! Sometimes finish that slow, sometimes error out.

10 megs is just 10 megs of packets to be sent. Nothing more. If the source file is HEAVILY fragged, then maybe we are talking some extra milliseconds on the server side to find them.

I would make sure that all of your important data is backed up. You might also want to check the health of the hard drive in your system. I've seen it too many times to count, odd system problems, and then dead hard dive.

This is a spanking new Dell Precision M6800. Should be blinding fast! Spec'd for CAD work.

Why not copy another file of around the same size to prove your point? Sound like a NIC driver or bad cable to me.

Did all that for myself. IT guy kept focusing on the original file for some reason and wouldn't listen.

If your coworker is fine connect your computer to his patch cable and network jack and see if your problem goes away. If it goes away then it's not your computer otherwise you've just isolated the issue for them.

Did all that for myself. IT guy kept focusing on the original file for some reason and wouldn't listen.

Turn off IPV6 (if you are not using it) for starters.

This is a windows 8/Driver issue. Update everything.

Using Win7. Still the same issue? I also noticed we are using the crappy 32-bit version. :rolleyes:

A single file? Should be the same speed over the LAN.

Multiple files vs. a single file? Single file is faster.

Also, make sure your speed/duplex speeds are set correctly and operating at the correct speed. I've had some NIC's auto negotiate to 100/Half duplex. Manually changed to 1000/Full, and it worked at full speed. Not sure why it went to 100/half before, but it runs at full Gb speed when manually set.

Using Win7. Still the same issue? I also noticed we are using the crappy 32-bit version. :rolleyes:

A precision 6800 and 32 bit windows..... That's worse than my SFF Optiplex with an i7 and 32 gig of ram... and 1tb spinner.

Edit: I hate posting from phones

Last edited:
Just an update, I was wrong, you guys were right. Must be old age and hold over from modem transfers or something. I did the testing and you guys are 100% correct, file type or composition does not matter on Lan transfers. My apologies.

It is bad advise like this that causes problems.

1. Gig over copper should never be hard coded. It is a violation of the standard.

2. When you set speed/duplex on a workstation the same setting must be applied to the other end of the connection. This means in most cases the switch must match your settings. Doing something stupid like forcing speed/duplex on a workstation while having the switch set for auto will result in errors mostly commonly speed duplex mismatch. Without proper monitoring this can go unnoticed under light load but becomes apparent as the load increases.

3. The correct speed? What is the correct speed? Do you presume that the correct speed is the maximum speed the adapter supports? Most shops will leave switches set to auto/auto but I've seen plenty who don't. Of those who don't many of them set the ports for 100/full. As he is the end user he does not know what the correct speed is. This is something for the IT tech to check not the end user.

All is well now. Speeds are normal, very fast transfers, even of a 30 mb file I tested. Tech did some minor "config" changes, whatever that means, and swapped some cables in an IT closet somewhere.

I hate when people try to BS, or worse, don't know crap (local IT guy). I knew damn well something was wrong, and because of the file type.

It is bad advise like this that causes problems.

1. Gig over copper should never be hard coded. It is a violation of the standard.

2. When you set speed/duplex on a workstation the same setting must be applied to the other end of the connection. This means in most cases the switch must match your settings. Doing something stupid like forcing speed/duplex on a workstation while having the switch set for auto will result in errors mostly commonly speed duplex mismatch. Without proper monitoring this can go unnoticed under light load but becomes apparent as the load increases.

3. The correct speed? What is the correct speed? Do you presume that the correct speed is the maximum speed the adapter supports? Most shops will leave switches set to auto/auto but I've seen plenty who don't. Of those who don't many of them set the ports for 100/full. As he is the end user he does not know what the correct speed is. This is something for the IT tech to check not the end user.

If it's negotiating at 100/Half, something is wrong. Go check it out. Don't change it and just leave it like that... I was able to change it and have it work, then I had to do some other work and find out WHY it was negotiating wrong (Gb network, Gb NIC... Ended up installing Intel drivers instead of MSFT provided ones, and it worked).

We do have some that require 100/Full (or half). But, we do that at the switch. We have had some that negotiation at 100/Full, and it's because it was set that way on the switch. Something that requires some more attention than just manually setting it.

But, it's one thing to look at with slow speeds. If it's slow, it could be running slower than it should. Checking the link speed and duplex is a good way to quickly check for a problem. Doesn't solve the problem, but it alerts you to a problem.

Back