Does exchange dedupe emails? or Email Archival Techniques

Asgorath

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking to create a message journal mailbox of everything on the exchange 2007 server. Everything that goes in or out goes into this dump. Does exchange de-dupe stuff in this archival box?

I'm trying to decide if I want to use Exchange 2007 journaling or buy something like the Barracuda Email Archiver (~$6000).

Any thoughts on the de-dupe issue?

Any thoughts on journaling vs. email archiving appliance?

Why don't you just make it so users can't delete items? Then move them to an archive server after xx amount of days?

Or use a backup solution that will hold the data for however long you need. Nothing can replace a good exchange recovery tool

Why don't you just make it so users can't delete items? Then move them to an archive server after xx amount of days?

Or use a backup solution that will hold the data for however long you need. Nothing can replace a good exchange recovery tool

1) Can I do that automatically? Why is that a better solution than message journaling? How would I do site wide searches for emails with your solution?

2) What solution did you have in mind? We have exchange backups...but I need full point in time viewing for business emails.

Yea exchange has some deduplication technology. I'm not sure how it effects journaling but if you send a message to 10 people with a 10mb attachment it doesnt take 100mb of space.

something called journaling in exchange, i had to use that for one of my clients, any mail that is sent into the exchange server or sent out is also sent to [email protected]

this was for a finincial company, guess head quarters wants everything journaled

Exchange only uses SiS at the database level. So unless its in the same database you will have multiple copies.

Back