Does DLink NAS work with OSX?

shiek

Limp Gawd
Hey Everyone!

I was looking at purchasing a network storage solution such as the Dlink DNS323 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509#). Has anyone else tried this product or something similar? Does it work with Apple products?

From the features, they say that it can connect to itunes, has anyone tried this?

thanks,

wow - I thought I replied to this weeks ago.

Anyways - it works great with my MBP 2.4 without a hitch. As far as the iTunes goes I haven't tried it but could to that today.

im guessing the whole interface for the NAS is web-based?

Correct - its incredibly easy to set up. Throw the hard drives you want in, configure it and you are good to go. I put 2x500GB drives in a RAID1 configuration.

semi unrelated, but i've been thinking about buying this exact same drive for RAID 1, and i'm currious:

Do these drives somehow check for data integrity? I mean, it's one thing if a drive completly fails, it's great to have another mirror image of the drive... but what about slow failure? In the past i've had drives that all of a sudden have 10 gigs worth of data just missing, unrecoverable, gone. The drive is still fine though, for the moment, and it might be a week (or much longer) before I notice the drive is failing. Does RAID 1 protect against this sort of thing?

there is no data integrity check built in as far as I know - it's not a standard of Raid 1 at least. The whole point is to have redundant identical drive in case one fails. Just back up your most important stuff to optical disk as well (or another drive/nas)

I am hopefully picking one of these up tomorrow. I have read several other forums or web reviews and it should be fine on a Mac or PC

Back