• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Does Dell replace/fix keyboards?

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,410
I'm on my Dell Latitude CPx laptop right now. It's kind old (P3 650Mhz, 256 RAM, 12GB harddrive) but it still does what I need it to. There are only two problems with it. 1) The keyboard is really messed up. Sometimes I'll hit a key and nothing will happen and other times I'll hit a key and the letter will come up several times. Also the spacebar works only about half of the time. I've heard complaints of this happening on other similar laptops as well. 2) Some idiot from school thought it would be funny to throw thee top to the pointing stick into the bushes. I still have a touchpad, but it would be nice to be able to use the pointing stick too. Do you think that Dell would be able to replace/fix these two things if I sent the laptop to them?
 
Call them and ask them.



and...have you tried cleaning the keyboard? I'm not familiar with laptops, but don't hte keys pop out like a desktop keyboard?


If so, pop out every key, clean the key, the contacts, and all the dirt and grime out from under them.
 
If it's under warranty, they will fix.

Otherwise, if you know the part number for the keyboard, you can order from their spare parts hotline or buy off ebay (you can find the part number on ebay/google usually). Keyboards usually run $15-25.

Replacing a keyboard on a dell is extremelly easy.
 
Where can you get laptop keyboards for $15 to $25? Most I've seen are around $80.

The top of the pointing stick can be purchased for less than $20 for sure. I want to say $5, but knowing laptop parts, expect to pay 10x more than the desktop equivalent and 100x the actual cost of the thing.
 
Rix2357 said:
Where can you get laptop keyboards for $15 to $25? Most I've seen are around $80.

The top of the pointing stick can be purchased for less than $20 for sure. I want to say $5, but knowing laptop parts, expect to pay 10x more than the desktop equivalent and 100x the actual cost of the thing.

I've bought Dell keyboards off ebay for $15.
 
Back
Top