Does Dell make good laptops?

• Thread starter Deleted member 89137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89137

Okay, so my sister is considering buying a dell, and I keep trying to convince her not to. Currently she has a crappy Hewlet Packard that has broken MANY many times. She originally bought a Compaq, but it broke because of a LEMON oem video device. Right.. So I need to know, has anyone had good or bad experiences with Dell laptops? ignore their overpriced XPS gaming POS, just for mobility and intel pentium M. What is the best lap top manufacturer? k thx.

they have the best/ most high end parts

with regard to shit breaking, well i suggest you get complete care since its well worth it.

Another question, can a Dell survive a fall down a flight of stairs? (Just wondering how sturdey they are, I don't want my sister buying a delicate piece of plastic)

elite.mafia said:
Okay, so my sister is considering buying a dell, and I keep trying to convince her not to. Currently she has a crappy Hewlet Packard that has broken MANY many times. She originally bought a Compaq, but it broke because of a LEMON oem video device. Right.. So I need to know, has anyone had good or bad experiences with Dell laptops? ignore their overpriced XPS gaming POS, just for mobility and intel pentium M. What is the best lap top manufacturer? k thx.

Dell doesnt make really that good of laptops...because my friend got one of those Pentium 4 2.8ghz and Pentium M 1.7ghz...it not that expensive but the materials in the lappy is old stuff. And it breaks really easy for a dell laptop.

But if you buy one of those Dell Servers..(Poweredge) then you can say they are good.

*Peace Out

My personal experience is as follows...

I bought a Compaq Evo N800v 2 years ago. It is an excellent laptop...much better than a Presario. Only problem I've had is hard drive died...*sigh*...but it was under warranty :)

Every Dell that I have used has seemed flimsy by comparison to my Evo. That being said, I just bought an 8600 because of the irresistable $750 coupon and my Evo is being retired.

Speaking of $750 coupons, I found a coupon in a recent dell magazine thing or w.e that had a $5000 off when you pay $5500. It is for this month, but it didn't say up to 5000, and I can't find it anywhere on the sight. *SIGH*

elite.mafia said:
Another question, can a Dell survive a fall down a flight of stairs? (Just wondering how sturdey they are, I don't want my sister buying a delicate piece of plastic)

Some laptops can not even withstand a 3' drop from a standstill, let alone a drop down a flight of stairs.

Unless, of course, it's an IBM equipped with the APS.

elite.mafia said:
Speaking of $750 coupons, I found a coupon in a recent dell magazine thing or w.e that had a $5000 off when you pay $5500. It is for this month, but it didn't say up to 5000, and I can't find it anywhere on the sight. *SIGH*

You have to go to their website and input the code they give you. it's like a RARE chance u get teh code that lets u take 5000 off 5500

On topic, i agree with what the guy above me says. A flight of stairs will bust up most laptops.

I have a dell 8600 and I like it.

like i said if you are worried about breaking just get the complete care accidental protection.

the computers may not be that solid but dell does put the best parts in with regard to high performance (graphics cards and displays and stufff)

im almost positive you cannot get WUXGA in any other laptop brand

dell (in general) builds great semi-mobile desktops for cheap and brands them as laptops

if your sister droped it, it would not be a question of if it still worked, but how many pieces did it break into

as for surviving a trip down a flight of steps
only a panasonic toughbook is going to be able to do it
but they cost about $3.2-4k

tiebird321 said:
dell (in general) builds great semi-mobile desktops for cheap and brands them as laptops
:rolleyes: Not in general. They have 4 current models that somewhat fit that description (XPS, 9200, 5160, 1100/100L) and 9 other current models that don't. The 1100 and 100L are the same laptop.

The 51x0 series and 1100/100L use the "mobile P4" and "mobile Celeron" CPUs. That's not the P4-M or 256K L2 cache Celeron, Intel makes a low voltage P4 called the "mobile P4" and the similar "mobile Celeron" based on the Northwood desktop chips. Those are cheap models with big batteries that give 2 hours or so of use.

The rest of the Inspiron series (8600, 600m, 700m), the Latitude series (D800, D600, D400, D505, X300) and Precision M60 use Pentium-M processors and are 7lbs or less. The Precision M60 mobile workstation and similar D800 are the heaviest at 7lbs, the Latitude X300 is lighest at 2.9lbs. hur hur hur

I never said she dropped her lap top down the stairs, I just think she should get a really sturdy notebook so if she accidently pulls a wrong plug and the lap top flys down the back of her desk, it won't break into a billion pieces.

I am not saying this ever happened, but it would be nice to know that it wouldn't.

At my work, we buy exclusively from dell. From what I've seen, they seem to be very well made (especially the newer trimetal ones). We use mostly d600s which will be a bit on the pricey side (centrino == $$$).

My advice... Dell + Complete care. You drop your laptop and shatter the screen, next day replacement. And if you can, try and find a way to buy through their business line. The business support is in NA (down south I believe) where as the Home support was sent off to India. Nothing against the people there, but when I've gotten transfered to them accidently, I had a very hard time understanding them.

I don't know if anyone else gives complete warranties like dell does (for the same cost), but you get 1 replacement/year as long as the warranty lasts.

Anybody can buy through the small business site; Dell won't turn away your dollars. The Latitudes are among the nicer laptops made by anyone; the Inspiron laptops are like cheap knockoffs. As far as tech support goes, I've had to deal with both the home and business sides, and had good and bad experience with each. They tend to ask fewer questions when you need warranty service for "business" support, though.

The D505 looks pretty good, for a pretty reasonable price.

pxc said:
:rolleyes: Not in general. They have 4 current models that somewhat fit that description (XPS, 9200, 5160, 1100/100L) and 9 other current models that don't. The 1100 and 100L are the same laptop.

The 51x0 series and 1100/100L use the "mobile P4" and "mobile Celeron" CPUs. That's not the P4-M or 256K L2 cache Celeron, Intel makes a low voltage P4 called the "mobile P4" and the similar "mobile Celeron" based on the Northwood desktop chips. Those are cheap models with big batteries that give 2 hours or so of use.

The rest of the Inspiron series (8600, 600m, 700m), the Latitude series (D800, D600, D400, D505, X300) and Precision M60 use Pentium-M processors and are 7lbs or less. The Precision M60 mobile workstation and similar D800 are the heaviest at 7lbs, the Latitude X300 is lighest at 2.9lbs. hur hur hur

right....
your missing the point
the only reson i would ever consider or recomend a dell would be because it was marked down some unresonable amount like $750 and came with a 3 year warenty
and only if the person was looking for a DTR replacement

if they were not looking for a dtr replacement i would tell them to use a company that kept its tech support in the US
like Micron computers

tiebird321 said:
right....
your missing the point
You're missing the point. You made a generalization for whatever bias you have when it's easily not true as I detailed above.

It's sad that you do this in virtually every Dell thread posted. Seems pretty pathetic. Bye.

As far as new, "name-brand" laptops go, i would recommend a dell or a gateway because of their service and support. Hewlett packard, Packard bell, NEC, or Compaq have crappy service and support. yes, packard bell is still making computers (in europe).

A Pannasonic toughbook might be your only option for a sturdier laptop. I had the specifications for one model in a popular science at one time. They did seem to be able to hold out to a fair about of Gforce.

New laptops usually have some type of hair-thin aluminum frames and hindges. Aluminum always cracks and breaks much eaiser than steel or iron.

I would personally recommend Dell. We have about 30 deployed at work. XPS, D505, C800, C600 and a few older models. They have been nothing short of perfect. Add in the complete care and she will be happy for years to come. I see Dell constantly getting slammed on several forums and I just don't get it. :confused:

If price is a factor then I would say dell is your best bet considering all the coupons and deals they have. Plus if you get the laptop at a good price with a coupon or other deal then that will leave you money for a complete care warranty.

We have a lot of D600's at work and although I am not a fan of dell their warranty support is top notch in terms of replacing broken parts. As far as durability I wouldn't say they were tanks, but they aren't flimsy either. We have recently switched from Dell D600's to IBM T41's and while the IBM Think Pad is an all around better laptop it does cost more.

Back