• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does DCS: A-10C scorch your GPU?

JoeUser

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
3,919
OK...I have a GTX 580 @ 900mhz. Have it water cooled using a Kuhler 620 with a single 120mm fan (pull - case is ITX, not a lot of room).

Normally when gaming, even hard core games like Far Cry 3, ARMA 2, BF3, Metro 2033, etc max settings I MIGHT see ~70C.

Sitting here playing A-10 for about an hour and noticed my GPU is 85C!!! 85 DEGREES CELSIUS!!! WTF?!?! Game is maxed (no AA) @ 2048x1536 and runs like a champ but DAMN is it heating up my GPU. Remember too, this is WATER COOLED, granted it isn't the best cooling out there but come on! I don't even see how a stock fan/heatsink could even handle this game!

Is something wrong with the game or is it just THAT demanding? Certainly doesn't seem so as I'm having zero issues running it.

Just worrying is all...:confused:

I never hit 85C with the stock cooler...let alone my Kulher 620!
 
Last edited:
gift me the game on steam and ill check my gpu temps.... ;)


seems odd tho since that game should be cpu limited.
 
Run pi for a while...see what the temps go to and compare. Might just need a little less OC or a little more cooling.
 
My first thought is the seating of the water block on the GPU. Is there any way for you to check the water temp? Because if the GPU is that hot and the water temp is low, I'd bet the block isn't seated right. However, if the water temp is high, then I'd say you might want to rethink how you have the fan + radiator setup.
 
Run pi for a while...see what the temps go to and compare. Might just need a little less OC or a little more cooling.

Run Pi on my...GPU...? :rolleyes:

My first thought is the seating of the water block on the GPU. Is there any way for you to check the water temp? Because if the GPU is that hot and the water temp is low, I'd bet the block isn't seated right. However, if the water temp is high, then I'd say you might want to rethink how you have the fan + radiator setup.

Everything is seated right. Just played BF3 at 2048x1536, 4xAA, MAX everything (and I do mean MAX) and the highest temp I got was 74C.

Again, A-10 is showing VERY odd temps compared to ANYTHING I've tried.

Starting to really think its a problem with the game. Only thing I can think of.
 
Check your GPU and CPU usage while playing A-10C and compare it to the other games you play. A-10C could very well be putting more load on the GPU than other games.
 
Just played some Flight Sim X maxed out and it reached 74C max. FSX is wayyy more taxing than A-10 is.

Hmmm...whatever, I guess I just gotta stick with it! Still makes zero sense though.

I mean, if A-10 runs smoother with higher FPS than FSX then wouldn't that mean that FSX is more taxing? If so why doesn't FSX run at 85C???
 
Not familiar with the game, but maybe your GPU is running at some ridiculous frame rate like the Nvidia cards did with StarCraft II. I'm sure someone remembers what that problem was and the remedy. What frame rate are you getting? Especially the idle screen before you actually start playing.
 
Do you have any mods installed?

I think some settings like cockpit view can cause overheating. Might just try re-installing the game. Could be a corrupted file that is causing the gpu to render something twice or doubling the draw distance somehow.
 
Do you have any mods installed?

I think some settings like cockpit view can cause overheating. Might just try re-installing the game. Could be a corrupted file that is causing the gpu to render something twice or doubling the draw distance somehow.

No...no mods installed. Yeah I play in cockpit view (is there any other way??? :p).

I'll try reinstalling...if it isn't the game it's the drivers. I just refuse to believe that this single game out of ALL my games is somehow pushing my GPU above and beyond anything has ever done before.

There has to be a glitch or something somewhere!
 
Yeah there is an issue somewhere. Have you tried lowered settings or resolution?
 
No haven't tried that...though honestly see no point. If I can run a game maxed then that's how its done! :D
 
Just played some Flight Sim X maxed out and it reached 74C max. FSX is wayyy more taxing than A-10 is.

Hmmm...whatever, I guess I just gotta stick with it! Still makes zero sense though.

I mean, if A-10 runs smoother with higher FPS than FSX then wouldn't that mean that FSX is more taxing? If so why doesn't FSX run at 85C???

That is not true at all! A-10 is probably the most demanding game I've played. FSX is an old program that runs well on even on older systems.
 
im thinking theirs some thing wrong whit you wc setup. a good setup should not hit close to 85c or even 74c. does it get that hot right after you start the game or does it take a while? if its takes a while you need more rad if it gets to 85c right away theirs something wrong whit you mount of your flow rate is to low. is your cpu on the same loop? if so what is it load temp?
 
Do you have vsync enabled? If not, try switching it on and checking your temps.

Some games and push the GPU to crazy high framerates with vsync disabled and can potentially overheat the GPU. That happened for me with Torchlight 1 on my previous card (GTX 580).
 
That is not true at all! A-10 is probably the most demanding game I've played. FSX is an old program that runs well on even on older systems.

You must not be familiar with the current state of the third party world of FSX, such as PMDG and Orbx... :)
 
im thinking theirs some thing wrong whit you wc setup. a good setup should not hit close to 85c or even 74c. does it get that hot right after you start the game or does it take a while? if its takes a while you need more rad if it gets to 85c right away theirs something wrong whit you mount of your flow rate is to low. is your cpu on the same loop? if so what is it load temp?

Well, my system is using a Kuhler 620 for the GPU with a single Corsair fan (stock that comes with H70) and a Corsair H70 for the CPU (same type fan).

Also, my system is an ITX build running in a SilverStone SG08...so space and airflow aren't exactly first class. However, if you read my other posts you will see that A-10 is the only game that exhibits this behavior. And yes 74C is a bit high for water cooling, but again, it comes back to my case. When I was running the same W/C setup in my full size case months back my GPU I don't think ever got over 60C...so the radiators are certainly doing their jobs properly.

You must not be familiar with the current state of the third party world of FSX, such as PMDG and Orbx... :)

Even add-on's aside...FSX maxed still runs slower than A-10 and it isn't just because it's an older game. The graphics themselves show the difference! FSX easily, I think, looks better and way more detailed than A-10 when both are running with all the bells and whistles turned on.
 
No. GTX560ti 2GB. BF3 runs hotter, and Alan Wake and Crysis 2 run even hotter.

While the graphics are nice in some areas it is not too taxing on a modern GPU. It is CPU limited and just poorly optimized in many areas. They are releasing a new terrain engine (Edge) with the first new set of terrain being Nevada/Nellis/Vegas. Cost will be $20 or so. It has been in development for a long time now, though it is supposed to give much better performance.

Sadly, the Russian/Georgian terrian will have to be remade so I doubt it will get a make over.
 
Maybe utilizing frame rate limitation would help eliminate this issue? If you have a profile for the game already, you could edit this option to 60, 90 or 120 FPS.

Nvidia_Inspector_Frame_Rate_Limiter_Option.PNG
 
No need. V-sync on and the game doesn't run anywhere near fast enough for a limited anyways.
 
Back
Top