Does CFX ever mess up with...

mhenley

[H]ard|Gawd
...a single display? I have a 5770 currently and was thinking about the new 6xxx series, and I've never had dual video cards before. If I'm using a single monitor, and not going past 1900x1200 res, will I have any forseeable issues with a 6850+5770 or a 6870+5770? I keep hearing things about problems with profiles, but I don't know enough to make this judgement call.

I was under the impression that they had to be from the same series to Crossfire.

i.e. you'd need a 5770 or 5750 to cfx with your current card.

That may be true, which only goes to show how little I know. I was told at one point that with NV cards that as long as the onboard RAM matches you can SLI, was thinking AMD/ATI was the same way. Can anybody confirm this? Can you CFX with a 6xxx and a 5xxx card?

I was under the impression that they had to be from the same series to Crossfire.

i.e. you'd need a 5770 or 5750 to cfx with your current card.

U should be able to...but your performance will only be as good as the slowest card...your returns might not be worth the expense

With AMD, you need cards from the same series to crossfire (5770 with a 5770 or 5750, 5850 with 5850 or 5870). With Nvidia, you have to have the same card- GTX 460 ONLY with another GTX 460. So- either sell your 5770 and get a 6850/70, or just buy a second 5770.

That may be true, which only goes to show how little I know. I was told at one point that with NV cards that as long as the onboard RAM matches you can SLI, was thinking AMD/ATI was the same way. Can anybody confirm this? Can you CFX with a 6xxx and a 5xxx card?

Actually the RAM is about the only thing that DOESN'T have to be matching on an SLI setup, along with clocks. The system will just use the amount of RAM of the lower card.

But back to Crossifre, as everyone else said it has to be from the same series. A 5770 is still a very capable card, if you find a good deal on one 5770 crossfire might be worthwhile.

Back