Does C2D have anything equivalent to Cool N' Quiet?

ryansebiz

Limp Gawd
I'm a longtime AMD user having just switched over to C2D. I know C2D runs cooler than their AMD competitors but is there anything similar to Cool N' Quiet?

You may need to enable those settings in the BIOS and in XP's Control Panel->Power, change the Power Scheme to Portable/Laptop or Minimal Power Management and you should see the C2D's clock drop-down while idle.

I'm a longtime AMD user having just switched over to C2D. I know C2D runs cooler than their AMD competitors but is there anything similar to Cool N' Quiet?

with the release of the new versions (or steppings) AMDs cpus are jsut as cool as intels, tho intel my beat it by a degree or two.

with the release of the new versions (or steppings) AMDs cpus are jsut as cool as intels, tho intel my beat it by a degree or two.

Would it only be the EE 65nm verisons that run as cool? All the C2D, except the E4300, run at 65 watts, same as the new EE AMDs. The E4300 runs at 45 watts I believe.

its hard to compare AMD to the C2D, given that when they down-step to their lowest frequencies they dont both reach the same values.

AMD X2's go down to 1000Mhz
C2D go down to 1600Mhz.

So if you do compare temps you will find that although they might both show the same 30deg C,, the AMD and the C2D, are not at the same speed, thus its not fair to compare them.

were the C2D able to go down to 1000Mhz, it would no doubt be slightly cooler, and thus a superior processor.

Back