• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Does Audigy 1 support DVD-Audio output?

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 9, 2002
Messages
1,649
I have a few dvd-audio discs I want to listen to. My dvd player will play the DD 2.0 and DTS 24/96 5.1 soundtracks but not the DVD-Audio mix.

Can I play the dvd in my computer and pass my reciever the DVD-Audio mix though my spidf out?
 
Can I play the dvd in my computer and pass my reciever the DVD-Audio mix though my spidf out?

Nothing can pass DVD-audio through the spidf out. The Audigy 2 and X-Fi series can decode DVD-Audio and output it through analog only. Sorry.
 
The RIAA/Sony is very dodgy when it comes to high resolution music, for some reason it's insanely more valuable than CD quality. They have taken extensive steps to disallow SACD and DVD-Audio from being ripped digitally - heck they created a new laser system from SACD.

DVD-Audio is the only one that can even be toyed with, but because of the small market and limited titles it hasn't attracted much attention from the "enthusiast" community. I believe I heard there was a way to extract DVD-Audio using a combination of programs through a bug in PowerDVD but I don't know any specifics nor would I post them here ;)
 
Im just trying to use my computer to play it instead of buying a new dvd player with dvd-audio decoding on it.
 
neokeelo said:
Im just trying to use my computer to play it instead of buying a new dvd player with dvd-audio decoding on it.

You can, but you have to get an Audigy 2 or X-Fi card and hook up your sound card to your receiver by using the analog inputs on your receiver. You would have to use the analog inputs too if you were to buy a dvd player that supports DVD-Audio. You cannot output DVD-Audio over the SPDIF ever.
 
Just to ask, what kind of speakers or headphones are you going to be using? You need pretty decent gear to hear a real difference between high bitrate DTS and DVD-Audio. Just before you possibly spend money on a new player. Also be aware lower end players with DVD-Audio support tend to have little or no bass management, so the low end (frequency wise) might not be too pleasing.
 
Moofasa~ said:
You can, but you have to get an Audigy 2 or X-Fi card and hook up your sound card to your receiver by using the analog inputs on your receiver. You would have to use the analog inputs too if you were to buy a dvd player that supports DVD-Audio. You cannot output DVD-Audio over the SPDIF ever.

To reinforce this. Denon has the Denon Link which can transport DVD-Audio (note sure about SACD) over a single cable solution digitally (the cable is basically cat5). It took alot to get the approval for Denon to be allowed to do this. I know they were trying to get SACD approval, but not sure where that ended.

DVD-Audio and SACD formats are very strict and do not approve transport over SPDIF because it has not built in DRM.
 
Lomic said:
Just to ask, what kind of speakers or headphones are you going to be using? You need pretty decent gear to hear a real difference between high bitrate DTS and DVD-Audio. Just before you possibly spend money on a new player. Also be aware lower end players with DVD-Audio support tend to have little or no bass management, so the low end (frequency wise) might not be too pleasing.


My System
-----------------------------
Onkyo TX-SR800 AV
Polk RT600i -front
Polk CS400i -center
Polk RT28i -surround
JBL PB 12 250watt -Sub
36" Panasonic Panablack CRT

I was using an old Panasonic DVD player to play them so far.
 
No, Audigy 1 does not support it. Audigy 2 or X-Fi, like was said above, does.


There are several DVD-Audio players for home entertainment systems. The prices range from $200 to $thousands.
 
I got a DVD-Audio+ SACD Samsung DVD player with HD upconverting and DVI out for $25 bucks. Booya!
 
DVD-Audio will not get passed through the digital connection.

As far as I know...there is only one way to rip DVD-A, but 'DVD Audio Ripper' was pulled from the web by lawyer actions. They were pretty thorough too.


Leave it to greed and lawyers to ruin a perfectly good format.
 
Back
Top