Does ATI Catalyst make any difference with games?

As opposed to what?
Catalyst is the drivers so I would say yes, you would have a very hard time trying to play a game without the drivers.
 
Are you talking about Catalyst A.I.? It's a set of optimizations that AMD makes for specific games. Sometimes setting it on advanced can increase framerates, but at the cost of potential visual artifacts. I've never seen any difference between Standard and Advanced, but turning it off can decrease performance. The recommended option is to keep it on Standard, which is the default, and only change it iff you're having problems with games.
 
perhaps the OP was referring to the catalyst control panel versus the stand-alone drivers which can be downloaded separately from AMD's site. Other than not being able to change ANY video/3D settings, i don't think there's any difference in not having the catalyst control panel installed.
 
Back
Top