Does anyone rebuild Power Supplies?

Below Ambient

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 13 yr old 680w Tagan that just needs a thorough lookover. It runs fine I'd just like to get some connectors replaced and general maintenance if anyone even knows that that is? Perhaps contact Tagan directly? I'd rather ship to a repair shop in the states if possible..

Repairing PSUs is not usually cost effective with labor & materials.
Add shipping costs and you may as well just buy a new one.

the problem is that this PSU is great, never had a problem with it, but the connectors could use a good refreshing

How do you know it is still great? Without access to a multi-thousand dollar oscilloscope, there is no way to determine that.

How do you know it is still great? Without access to a multi-thousand dollar oscilloscope, there is no way to determine that.

reliable 13 yr old performance... since I'm in electronics class I'd appreciate valuable feedback... especially because this is [H] and I really think if I had some kind of feedback it could value the forum... we live in a toss-out market and if any PSU can provide reliable performance over the course of what is not obviously normal wouldn't you want to better PSU quality or just chuck it?

Power supplies are like mechanical hard drives.
They all fail, it's just a matter of when.

If you build one with very high quality expensive caps, it may last quite a long time.
But eventually it will still fail. Fans go bad, wire insulation gets brittle, solder cracks, etc.

Some of it comes down to planned obsolescence though too. They are not designed and
built with materials that last 25 years.

If they last 5-7 years then they are lasting the normal life cycle of the rest of the computer.
That seems to be how they are engineered. :)

Hi...i am a new user here. I rebuilt an ATX power supply to regulate the 12V line and made it adjustable. After disabling the under-voltage protection it can go down to 3V now, but below that it starts to freak out (hissing noises and awful waveforms across the transformer). I think this is because of pulse-skipping.
Is it possible to make it stable below 3V?

Hi...i am a new user here. I rebuilt an ATX power supply to regulate the 12V line and made it adjustable. After disabling the under-voltage protection it can go down to 3V now, but below that it starts to freak out (hissing noises and awful waveforms across the transformer). I think this is because of pulse-skipping.
Is it possible to make it stable below 3V?

Sure, but not without more of a re-design. You'd be far better off getting a quality bench DC power supply for projects and such.

reliable 13 yr old performance... since I'm in electronics class I'd appreciate valuable feedback... especially because this is [H] and I really think if I had some kind of feedback it could value the forum... we live in a toss-out market and if any PSU can provide reliable performance over the course of what is not obviously normal wouldn't you want to better PSU quality or just chuck it?

Something lasting a long time does not mean it was built to any better standard than anything else.

If I build 1 million of a shitty product with a high failure rate, chances are that after 25 years there'll still be at least one out there that works fine, if only by pure chance.

If I build 1 million of a high quality product, then after 25 years the only difference is that there'll be a few more out there in comparison.

As the person you were responding to said, there is absolutely no way to tell if your PSU is or was still producing high quality power, short of having someone very knowledgable with a high quality oscilloscope pick it over and compare it's present output to the ATX spec.

Seeing as there are plenty of *new* high end PSUs that fail to meet every tiny part of the ATX spec, the chances of your 13 year old unit coming anywhere close are vanishingly slim.

I appreciate the feedback.. I went ahead and got a Corsair CMX750M...should be here in a few days

Back