Does anyone mod keyboards (USB 1 to 3)?

vroom_skies

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,
I'm curious if anyone on here mods or knows someone that is able to modify a keyboard to switch from USB 1 to USB 3?

I've been using the Enermax Aurora for over ten years and I love almost everything about it.
However it's major down fall is that it uses USB 1 ports.

If at all possible I'd like to get them switched out.
If anyone is able to help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

I guess it would depend on how the usb hub is connected inside but I don't think it would be doable. might have to mod in a usb3 hub, have two usb plugs at the pc end and then sleeve the cables together.

I guess it would depend on how the usb hub is connected inside but I don't think it would be doable. might have to mod in a usb3 hub, have two usb plugs at the pc end and then sleeve the cables together.

You could do it with only one USB cord.. but would still have to use audio cables for the audio of course.

1. mod in USB 3 hub into keyboard IF there is enough room
2. mod keyboard USB so it uses a mini usb plug for the cable for it.
3. Use a very short or hardwired to the USB 3 hub cable for the keyboard itself - the keyboard itself is probably already hardwired into the current built in USB hub.
4. USB 3 cable plugs into the computer

yeah I guess you could piggyback the connection. could be a could mod if there is room.

Thanks for the replies.
I've taken some pictures, so hopefully they will help.

On a side note, why does HF rotate some of the images?

Attachments

• IMG_3570.JPG
    IMG_3570.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3569.JPG
    IMG_3569.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3568.JPG
    IMG_3568.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3571.JPG
    IMG_3571.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3573.JPG
    IMG_3573.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 46
Actually that might be possible with some (literal) hacking. I would just rip out the two ports from that board and run a second USB 3 cord. Drill a hole for the cord to fit in next to the other one then figure out how to get the new port in there, not attached to that board of course. Wouldn't be pretty and there are better options in just buying a new kb, but it would be possible.

The only way to mod this for USB 3 (without completely redesigning a new circuit board for the keyboard and resoldering EVERY IC chip, resister and connector) would to just put a USB 3 hub in the keyboard and then connect that to the keyboard.

Just buy a USB 3 hub and be done with it.

The usb hub part and all of the keyboard stuff seem to be on the same pcb - that makes it difficult to replace just the usb hub.
I'd just buy a usb 3.0 hub and hack it into the keyboard and hardwire the keyboard into one of the usb hub plugs. Or run two cables to the pc. Or just have the usb hub outside.

i miss my enermax aurora the one without he usb soundcard since it would always try to be default soundcard whenever it got repluged into the machine.
Love het look and the heavy feel of it and that it has flat keys.

so since you are gonan throw it out for a new usb keybaord with usb3.0 right i can recycle it for you.. i'll even pay shipping :D

Haha, I'm going to use it till it croaks. Even then I'll pay to have it repaired if possible.
It took me over 3 years to find a back up (used at that). Still have it sitting in my closet, hoping I don't have to use it anytime soon.

Back