Does anyone know of any good XNA tutorials?

tpfaff

2[H]4U
I know microsoft just put one out and its ok but it glosses over a lot of things. I'm looking for something that really describes whats going on. thanks!:)

What is your general programming experience?

Microsoft's tutorials are pretty basic because they are intended for experienced programmers to quickly jump in and learn the differences between XNA and doing games using DirectX/OpenGL. What your experience is with regards to programming games or even programming would be the appropriate place to start.

I've never done game programming. I have two semesters of c++, one semester of java, one semester of assembly. Maybe I should start with pygame instead?

I don't know if thats the reason microsofts tutorials are "basic" They seem to be basic in all the wrong areas. The tutorials describe what statements,functions, and classes are but gloss over the purpose of some of the built in functions and classes of xna

Personally, if you've never done any game programming, I would brush up on the math first. I personally teach continuing education classes in XNA and iPhone game development at DigiPen, and a good portion of the classes are math (linear algebra in 2D and 3D, using matrices to get from model space (3ds max, photoshop, etc) to world space to view space (camera) to projected space(screen), some basic collision detection and collision response). A lot of the students I have coming in don't have too much trouble with the programming side of things, as the specifics of what the API is doing aren't really all that important. What they have trouble with, and ultimately either overcome or simply can't get past is the heavy reliance on math in game programming.

Back