Does anyone know of a university where my IT certifications count towards credits?

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't really care what my degree says I just kinda need a piece of paper that says I have a 4 year degree so I can eventually start moving past my technical workload.

I already have an associates degree.
I have these IT certifications and am wondering if there are any colleges that can take these certifications as credit towards courses they offer. (testing out and getting the credit basically)

CompTIA:
A+, Network+, Server+

Microsoft:
MCSE 2003, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

Cisco:
CCNA
(working towards CCNA:Voice)

I've been looking at degree programs for computer systems and I can't seem to find a legitimate 4 year degree that actually is similar to my job roles (system administrator, network engineer)

All the degrees want to make you a programmer.

EDIT: I'm also not interested in places like DeVry, ITT Tech, University of Phoenix, etc. I do not consider those legitimate 4 year degrees. (my opinion, not interested in yours)

You will want something like a MIS (Management Information Systems) degree or BCS (Business Computer Systems) which are usually part of the business program as opposed to CS which is arts/sci.

You're not going to get anything other than elective credit for coursework related to certs in my experience.

Some of the junior colleges will take them and convert them into credit classes taken. My uncle did this two years ago along with taking a couple classes at the jonior college. Now with those as creditable, he transfered to a 4 year school in his area. He plans on getting a dual bachlor degree in IT and business.

Interesting. So I might have more luck getting them converted at a community college level then transferring them to a 4 year school?
I'd be somewhat fine with electives only. At least its that many credits I don't have to pay for and sit in class.

No legit, reputable, or half decent, in person university is going to take certs for credits.

MIS/CIS or any computer program in a business school is not going to teach you the stuff you're interested in; the course work is vastly business related. Look for a telecommunications program. For example, there's one in my state called the TSM at Murray State University. It's not a bad program, but it is out in the middle of nowhere:

http://www.murraystate.edu/tsm/

However, depending on your experience, you may be better served by just getting your CCNP either through self study or paid training programs.

If I wanted to stay in a technical capacity I *would* just get my CCNP.

However I strive for IT Director within 5 years. I won't be getting it without a 4 year degree.
If colleges have all these tech classes that "prepare" you for your CCNA and your Microsoft certifications doesn't already having the cert show you have passed their class?

Yet another reason I consider college a massive scam. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to teach me the same shit I already know and let me pay them to do it. What a crock.

If I wanted to stay in a technical capacity I *would* just get my CCNP.

However I strive for IT Director within 5 years. I won't be getting it without a 4 year degree.
If colleges have all these tech classes that "prepare" you for your CCNA and your Microsoft certifications doesn't already having the cert show you have passed their class?

Yet another reason I consider college a massive scam. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to teach me the same shit I already know and let me pay them to do it. What a crock.

Sadly I can see where you are coming from but you have to face fact that this country and many companies see you as un-educated without that four year degree. I think that companies should look at people's backgrounds and see what they have done not just what pieces of paper they have. My father-in-law told me once he prefers to hire people who have a boat load of experience VS people with degrees. Sadly he is outweighed by management and “encouraged” to hire degree individuals.

KM

While I was going through my Bachelors my college switched to a Cisco Certified Academy. I already had my CCNA at the time and so it allowed me to "test out" of the CCNA classes, 4 semesters of classes for free. The college didn't want to just give me the credits, they had no choice it was a requirement of being a Cisco Certified Academy.

As mentioned - directly transferring certs to credits - not likely.

Are their a lot of schools that count life experience into their adult eduction programs? Yes.
http://www.snl.depaul.edu/About/index.asp

"School for New Learning
The School for New Learning provides a distinctive approach to learning for adults. You'll design your own customized program that builds upon the abilities and experience you already possess. This program allows you to add new knowledge and develop innovative skills to help you achieve your personalized career goals.
"

And while I'm editing the post:
The Bachelor of Arts in Computing
http://www.snl.depaul.edu/Programs/UgradDegree/BAComputing.asp

While I was going through my Bachelors my college switched to a Cisco Certified Academy. I already had my CCNA at the time and so it allowed me to "test out" of the CCNA classes, 4 semesters of classes for free. The college didn't want to just give me the credits, they had no choice it was a requirement of being a Cisco Certified Academy.

Gotta love it. I'm not surprised the college didn't want to give you the credits...they want as much of your money as possible.

In my experience most universities/colleges have an upper limit on the amount of credits you can transfer into a program. For instance, Michigan State has a 56 credit limit. You already have an associates which is usually in my experience a 2 year degree. You should be able to use that to transfer in most of the annoying stuff.

I think anything beyond that is wishful thinking and unlikely. As most of the stuff you would probably learn isn't really technical knowledge. Its business theory, mangement, etc... depending on your choice of degree.

Back