Does anyone know if a KVM switch will work if I already have a second device (projector) connected to my pc video card ?

ng4ever

2[H]4U
I want to use it with 2 laptops with my main pc keyboard and mouse but worried it won't work.

Should I just continue to use Jump Desktop over the local network instead controlling them remotely? I hate laptop keyboards and trackpoint

You can get one of those older kvms that are vga+ dual usb and just use the kvm to switch your kb and mouse. This assumes your monitor has the ports to connect to both rigs.

I uses this one for 4 rigs to share kb n mouse. They make 2 port ones as well for cheap. You just switxh tje kvm and then switch the monitor input. I did not use the vga portion of the kvm but my monitor uad plenty of inpits and a remote to make switching inputs easy.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63783

If you do want your kvm to handle video duties then ones that support high bandwidth hdmi or DP get pretty pricey. Especially so if you want greater than 60hz. I dont think having a projector connected to your gpu would matter as long as the video output from gpu to kvm was the primary output on tje gpu

A basic KVM will only switch 1 monitor, having a second non-switched output won't affect anything. If you want to switch multiple monitors with a single KVM you can find units to switch 2 video outputs; but they're going to be at least twice as expensive. (Switching video is the hard part, also doing USB is easy; so it's the doubled video that doubles the cost. Then you have to worry about much lower production volumes.)

Back