Does anyone have the Plextor 712SA

Im just wanting know if the Sata is worth it on the optical drive im going to be building a new system almost with in a month.

I will have a set-up of 2 raptor in there & one Pata drive for game images & ram page files.

Any info or review would be great i have looked & didnt find anythat were very indepth as the different between the sata & the pata drive thanx

I ordered one from Newegg yesterday. I have always wanted a Plextor and the switch to SATA was irresistible (my CDROM had died). I will post my feedback here when I get it running. It occurred to me that if I ever have to load XP from scratch, i may have to put a EIDE CDROM in my machine to get it going (since you have to load the SATA drivers during setup). Think this is true?

it depents on your motherboard from what i read & what i see on plextor site some system are not using raid boot type thing so XP clean install can be done with out it or you could make your own XP cd with that & all your drive in the CD when you make a slip stream sp2 CD

My SATA PX-712 SA came today and it rocks. My BIOS recognized it right away (MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum) and I have no problems. It only required a SATA power connection and a SATA data cable -no audio cable. Unfortunately, when I registered I saw the Plextor announcement of the PX 716 which is a 16x DVD burner, available in Dec. Crap. I never get used to that happening. I also run a RAID 0( twin Raptors) and a SATA data drive for backups, etc. Now my SATA ports are full and I am a happy camper.

Back