• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does anyone have Samsung s24d590pl ?

Joined
May 7, 2014
Messages
18
I need to know if the monitor supports portrait mode. I cannot find in local stores and it would be good to know before I order it online ....

Thank you.
 
Possibly? Sorry, I don't really know about that and I wouldn't risk it...

I think the Dell U2414H does support portrait mode though.
 
Possibly? Sorry, I don't really know about that and I wouldn't risk it...

I think the Dell U2414H does support portrait mode though.

Yes, but I want a 5 monitor portrait setup.Samsung has a 8.4 mm bezel top and bottom. After debezeling I would get less.

U2414H has a big bezel down, and debezeling seems rather difficult due to electronics placement.

Samsung S24D590PL would be nice, but I need someone that owns one that can test if portait mode actually works (should take less than 1 minute)

I found the monitor only on online store, otherwise I could test it on a face to face store...
 
I have the S24D590 and the S27d590, both can do portrait just fine! I also removed the matte film on both of them, made a huge difference in clarity, color and contrast! When I took them apart, I would say if you put masking tape around the screen as the bezel, you would probably have 3mm bezel all the way around, very thin. Under the plast bezel is no metal bezel, so you will have to do a custom tape/masking tape job on it.
 
Do you have some pictures? How difficult was to remove the matte film?

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
I have the S24D590 and the S27d590, both can do portrait just fine! I also removed the matte film on both of them, made a huge difference in clarity, color and contrast!

is there a guide on how to remove it? or did you just wing it?
 
I tried to debezel the S24D590 but cracked the bottom part. I did debezel several monitors in the past, but it was way easier. I cannot take the bottom part down. The upper and left/right sides went down ok (still harder then a "normal" debezel).

The bezel after debezeling is around 3-4 mm on sides (which would be the lowest bezel in the world).

I don't think it can be debezeled without some unconventional methods (like cutting down the plastic manually). Most likely coolhandm3 was bored/trolling or there is something fundamental that I am missing.
 
Figured it out eventually.

There are some screws holding the lower bezel. You have to force the back plastic down. It will come down after putting some pressure with a screwdriver. After that you get access to the screws that hold the lower bezel.

There is still a white plastic that surrounds the monitor. Taking that down seems to complicated.

After using tape I ended up with around 4 mm bezel on sides and around 6-7 mm on bottom.
 
Just joined this forum to ask if you could post some pictures of it debezelled :D
I'm looking at getting 2 or even 3 of these as they seem like the monitors with the slimmest bezels atm other than the dell 24" IPS, but thats more expensive and has issues apparently.....
 
Debezeling is not easy.

If you plan to use Landscape I would probably use them as it is. The initial bezel is around 8.6 mm. I have currently 3 x Landscape with them; 1 sits without purpose ; 1 is debezeled with VESA glued with epoxy. Need to wait another 10 hours or so for the epoxy to dry. I will post some pictures afterwards. The bezel is around 4-5 mm on top and sides and around 7-8 mm on bottom. I will use them in portrait.
 
I just went in store to see them today....am very annoyed to find that they have hardly any tilt.
My idea was to have 3 in landscape but as they dont have a native VESA mount or enough tilt you would end up with gaps (due to tilt) between the monitors :/
Is that why you've epoxied the mounts to them?

Also I noticed that the 390 version has this useless "touch of colour" bezel that is just wasting space - any idea if you can take it off? This monitor also has proper tilt angles so it could be a good alternative for multi monitor setup.
 
As far as I've know/read the 390 and 590 have the same panel. I went with 590 because I was concerned about the front electronic part after debezeling. (present on 390; 590 has it in the back)

Yes, I debezeled it and then used epoxy + double table + some band for the VESA mount. I plan to have a 5x1 portrait setup. Now I am using 3x1 landscape .... till' I make some tunning to the VESA mounts. The monitor has in fact a slight tilt (I believe 10-15 deg), so I managed to set them almost "perfect". Now, if you squeze the mount you "might" be able to set them up without any gap. I didn't bother to much since this week they will be debezeled anyway.

More about the monitor:

- It has a 1200 : 1 contrast (opposed to 1000:1 advertised), which is a plus
- Colors are nice, no flickering (PWM)
- out of 6 monitors 1 has a slight blue tint and one a slight green tint. So multiple monitor setups are good to go.
- Out of 6 monitor I haven't got any dead pixel.
- I also experimented with removing filters but, personally, I didn't find the image to be better. Brighter yes, but the colors were not (or at least not visible to me) better. So they made good/decent filters for this one
- The backlight LED is only on one side (right). Therefore the backbleed will be only there present. 2 of 6 have no backbleed (which is impressive considering technology), the rest have a relative small about. You will see it only in a dark room, obviously.

My only complain would be the VESA mount. To bad they didn't include any. Would save a ton of trouble.I have no experience with 390 debezeling. And I am pretty sure no one has done it (it's a new monitor and I haven't seen anyone on forums attempt it).

For a 3 lanscape monitor setup I would consider DELL u1424h. They have issues with DP, but I think HDMI is ok. You might need to do some panel changes for the RGB at first use. They also have the default bezel of 6 mm on sides .... which is the one you are interested.

The third option would be ACER. Linus made a review : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXX0cCWWDsU

The last is probably the most attractive... the Asus ROG swift PG278Q t. It has 5 mm bezel, all ergonomic features, 1440p, 1m response, 120 Hz , GSYNC support ..etc.But you need to be cash loaded for a triple setup.
 
Last edited:
I tried to debezel the S24D590 but cracked the bottom part. I did debezel several monitors in the past, but it was way easier. I cannot take the bottom part down. The upper and left/right sides went down ok (still harder then a "normal" debezel).

The bezel after debezeling is around 3-4 mm on sides (which would be the lowest bezel in the world).

I don't think it can be debezeled without some unconventional methods (like cutting down the plastic manually). Most likely coolhandm3 was bored/trolling or there is something fundamental that I am missing.

I was not trolling... You have pry apart the back plastic after removing the on screw near the hdmi ports, then there is screws on back part plastic under the first back removed. Then you have to pry that part off and then pry the front plastic bezel off. There is no metal bezel that is keeping the screen from falling out!!

I then put distilled water in a bowl and soaked about 5 pieces of paper towel then rung them out and put on the screen, I let them sit for 5 hrs and added a couple more wet to keep them moist.

Then took my finger nail and pried off the matte filter. All done! Much better with the matte film off!
 
I ended up buying 3 of the 390 series (was 20% off the lowest price I could find). I may try to tinker with them at some time however its going to be a huge step up from the 21.5" + 15" that i'm currently using :)

I didnt get the acers because of their gloss screens and the dell because of the DP issues (and price)

Thanks for your help - looking forward to these pictures
 
Last edited:
+1 for some pictures of your debezelled monitors! :cool:

Have you tested the S24D390HL to be without PWM-regulation at 0% brightness? This can be tested with a camera with a set shutter speed of 1/2 to 1/25 of a second, as explained by a tftcentral article.

Tested the S24D390HL today at work and the design really annoys me, looks like a child toy.
Going to test the S24D590PL soon, I like the bezel and the stand better, however that low stand also annoys me.

It would seem from the pictures that the S24D590PL has a little higher stand, but the dimensions say it comes only 12 millimeter higher (total monitor height bezels included)
 
I'm using both the D590PL and D390HL now, and I definitely prefer the D390HL.
Standard color settings seems way too bluish on the D590PL, it's difficult to find a good color setting for it.
Also brightness uniformity is not good on the D590PL I got, it's brighter near the left bezel and gradually gets darker towards the right bezel.

It also appears to me the D590PL has a higher minimum brightness than the D390HL.

The fact that you cannot position the panel with 90 degree angle, with zero tilt in other words, is annoying me. As someone else mentioned, the lowest tilt is a 10 degree tilt...

On the positive side, both monitors are fully flicker free.
 
Back
Top