does anyone have a copy of the Athlon XP/MP FAQ?

FLECOM

Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar
Staff member
does anyone have a copy of the Athlon XP/MP FAQ?

this wasnt my forum before purge so unfortunately i did not back it up :(

grr.. there was somone posting jumper info's for the 2462 but most of it got cut :(

damn

yes it does work, but you have to up the multiplier a bit since all of the MP/MPX boards will only run up to 133mhz AFAIK

also you have to mod the barton into a mobile in order to be able to do the multiplier mod now

So you have to mod the barton into a mobile, and then into a mp? :confused:

Edit; And maybe you can help me do as such? ;)

I don't know much about modding the regular AthlonXP's into AthlonMP's (connecting stuff on the L5), but from what I've learned about the AthlonXP-Mobiles, they aparrently have the SMP L5 Bridge intact (What the XP->MP mod connects). And I have read that some people can put the Mobiles into the Gigabyte 760MPX motherboard without modding, and have it detected as "Unknown CPU" and work like AthlonMP... The only issue is that it runs default at 800MHz, so multiplier adjustments are needed to get good performance. I'll figure that out for sure when a system I ordered arrives sometime late this/next week.

BTW, I found this webpage that covers pretty much anything that the different bridges control on the Athlon processors:
http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/barton/athlon-e23.html
(Top of that webpage has links to more information - Checkout that motherboard mod done under "Multipliers" :eek: )

ya the mobiles seems to be a nice choice for modding into MP's...

the forums at 2cpu.com have a lot of info on said subject

All that is needed is for the L5 bridge to be connected for the chip to be seen as an MP. This includes Barton-core Athlons. This is not always necessary, though; my MSI motherboard has a BIOS option to ignore the L5 and assume they are MPs (wish I had known this earlier... could have saved some conductive paint :rolleyes: ). Painting the "mobile" bridge is not necessary to get them in dual configuration. There's a convenient guide to painting the bridges here http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop/socketa/tbred_painting.html

The worst thing about the dual Athlons has to be the heat they produce. If I'd known about the mobile chips it would have been great, I would run them at normal speeds and have a system that's not a furnace...

guide to cold athlons...

step 1...
IMG_4078.jpg

step 2...

step 3...
profit!

Ugly_Jim said:
So there is only one dual socketA chipset?

Technically there are two. The earlier MP chipset and the MPX, both made by AMD. There is very little difference between the two.

relic said:
Technically there are two. The earlier MP chipset and the MPX, both made by AMD. There is very little difference between the two.

yeah, I guess. I forgot about the MPX, but it's essentially the same thing as the MP.

yeah, I guess. I forgot about the MPX, but it's essentially the same thing as the MP.

There are a couple of major differences. The MP chipset supported a single PCI bus, clocked at 33 MHz. The MPX chipset support a dual-PCI bus setup: One operating at 64-bit, 66 MHz (two slots in total), and one operating at 32-bit, 33 MHz.

Furthermore, the first few revisions of the MPX chipset had a non-working USB sub-system, although this was cleared up eventually.

Finally, the MP chipset only officially supports up to 1.2 GHz MP, although I have some working with 2600+ units in the enterprise. The MPX chipset supports up to 2800+, officially.

Thought I would mention this since I've recently got into the MPX world:

This site->
http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/

has a hacked bios for the MSI K7D Master (L) that allows you to put in 2 Mobiles without mods and run them in SMP. I'm running 2 2400+ Mobiles right now with 2x 12.5x150 @ 1.5V, when I do a pin-mod I'll get the rest of the multipliers.

upon reading some other forums someone had suggested that the xp -> mp mod might be accomplished by a wiremod in the holes that correspond to the L5 bridge. is this a viable option?

The only viable pin-mods I know of are volt-mods & multiplier-mods.

As far as I am aware there is no "L5 pin-mod". You must do the bridge mod to make your CPU detected as either a mobile or a duallie.

If this kind of wire-mod existed though, I'd assume someone would have already made & sold a gadget similar to the little plates you can use to set multipliers instead of performing regular wire-mods. But, I haven't seen any sign of this product.

Even Fab51 doesn't mention L5 Wire-Mods, and they have nearly everything known about these processors including something they soldered to the back of the Motherboard PCB to set multipliers with switches... The only thing that could be stretched to possibly mean this mod may be possible is a note on the L5 bridge that you can change a processor from "Mobile" to "Desktop" while it is operating without messing anything up. But they never mention how they did this...could be some switch stuffed into the bridge, or who knows...?

BTW, the reason the K7D firmware hack allows "unmodified" mobiles to work in SMP is because by default, and unmodified mobile has SMP bridge on the L5 connected like a regular processor. The K7D also sees the other bridge on the L5 (Mobile Bridge) and this causes it to not use the processor.

Also I haven't heard of people getting multi-processor Athlon machines working with the L5 bridge open (unconnected) with any of the SMP motherboards, which again strengthens the argument that there is no L5 Wire-Mod & that the only way is Bridge Modding.

But somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't mind seeing such a mod :)

you seem fairly knowledgeable on the subject, do you think there is any harm in trying? a chance i will short circuit something and have an unusable processor or even busted board?

Sorry for not replying for so long...

I wouldn't try it with any processors that you just recently bought. You'd probably fry them. I'm also not sure if it is possible.

Incase you're interested though, have a look @ different documents outlining the pin-outs on Socket-A & see if you can find a pattern among processor revisions & supported pins. From what I have seen, the whole volt-modding and multiplier-modding come from these documents. But I haven't seen mention of SMP within them, probably because I'm looking at the Duron, revision 3 document...

no one has replied to this thread for a whole YEAR.

wow.

sound off though - anyone still using AthlonXP's as MP's? Anyone do this conversion recently?

I use them, but it was a long, long time ago, and I really don't remember specifically how it was done.

I do remember that it was fun, and that I was amazed that they worked at the first bootup. Mine were the 1700XP --> 2400MP, which I think still give me problems under some Linux setups (specifically Myth), but work under Windows flawlessly, or at least in the Windows setups that I've done.

I also remember that I got the CPUs as refurbs, which meant that I only paid $30 a piece for them.

I'd say that I did it 3 to 3 1/2 years ago, and it is currently running a Domino server with surprisingly quick response times.

I couldn't be happier with them.

this thread has been online for 2 years, I think it can me unstickied.

Back