Does anyone elses cable service "hiccup?"

IceWindus

n00b
Question for all you cable users. Recently got local 3.0/256 cable and its been wonderful so far, much less latency then my Qwest DSL.

One problem though, i've experienced "hiccups" in my ping in BF1942, DC and UT2k4. This are totally random and in no set pattern but every once in awhile the ping will just shoot up for a fraction of a second and then return to normal. The big problem with is my screen literally jumps or skips as a result of this and in online gaming, its not a good thing in the middle of a battle.

Im using a Motorola 5100 surfboard modem through a Linksys WRT54G. I sent the company an email indicating this problem and they want me to run ping tests to some servers. I don't see how this will help any like I said, the hiccups happen randomly.

Anyone else ever experienced this with your cable because my DSL sure didn't.

I was having this problem with my Mediacom 3.0Mbit/256Kbit connection, and I have the POS RCA modem that came with the services a year or more ago...I never figured out what the problem was, but I run FreeBSD on my firewall, and I have some custom firewall scripts that allow me to control bandwidth and QoS and such, and ever since I have implemented them, my ping always stays a steady 65-75 .... so that doesn't help ya much, but I did have the same problem for a while...dont know why!? :confused:

I had it once sorta like you. It was very random and took a few months for it to get worse enough to find it. It turned out that anytime a hard breeze blew it would lag for a second or two then back to normal. Once I put the two together found out it was a bad drop (wire) from the pole to the house. Since then the average pings stay below 40ms. We have RoadRunner Cable here in this part of NE Ohio and they say 40ms and below is exceptable. So anytime they are 41 and above I contact them. Why pay for the full service that you aren't getting.

I have hiccups to.. i use Charter communications. But it is not constant.

I use time warner, and i have a few here and there. I had it bad foor about a month, but then realized they were doing new construction annd were constantly messing with the lines. also, since cable isnt a stable bandwidth, at least on residential levels, annd is dictated by use, couldnt the a number of new users coming online effect the ping momentarily? I am not sure how the cable system manages traffic.

Back