Does anyone else worry that high temps with Ivy's new architecture.....

I agree generally with cpu's but we've never had a 22nm trigate 3d cpu before this release.

Yes, its a ploy for Intel to make all the monies! *puts on tinfoil hat*

I guess I'm talking more in regard to degradation when oc'ing on the new process. Sandys died easily with extreme volts so anything is plausible.

Nope, not worried. By the time that would become an issue I'd have long since moved on to something else.

Not at all.

The chip runs hot because the 22nm die size has less surface area to displace heat and because of the design of the Tri-gate transistors. Changing the TIM to Fluxless Solder may not really make much of a difference to help dissipate heat because of the small 22nm surface area of the IB die.

IB uses less voltage and power than SB.

IB TJ Max is higher than SB so even though the heat is hotter it is not going to hurt the chip. It is designed to run hotter. Tri-gate transistors in IB run hotter but that is normal.

My guess is that the actual atomic structure of the material of the IB over all design is a better than SB at conducting electricity and has a lower resistance design which allows it to perform better with lower voltages and withstand the higher heat.

seriously another ivy thread from you?

Just what I was thinking.

Just stop now, seriously. This has already been covered in other threads. You're just making yourself look like a troll.

The chip runs hot because the 22nm die size has less surface area to displace heat and because of the design of the Tri-gate transistors. Changing the TIM to Fluxless Solder may not really make much of a difference to help dissipate heat because of the small 22nm surface area of the IB die.

IB uses less voltage and power than SB.

IB TJ Max is higher than SB so even though the heat is hotter it is not going to hurt the chip. It is designed to run hotter. Tri-gate transistors in IB run hotter but that is normal.

TCase is higher too, right?

seriously another ivy thread from you?

Yeah, seriously. I should go create a "HAY GUISE, BULLDOZER SUCKS" thread to balance this out. Oh, and a "PILEDRIVER SUCKS TOO" thread.

As far as Intel is concerned, Ivy Bridge produces just the right amount of heat and power drain stock as they wanted, so no, overclockers might have to worry but stock should be just fine.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ivy-bridge-overclocking-high-temp,15512.html

Yeah, I don't think Intel cared much about the overclockers...oh no, they buy another SB chip instead, more sales for Intel! Oh no!

You do realize that Ivy's are far from the hottest cpu's ever.... right? If not, turn in your [H] card now mister! :p

Yes, but the hotter ones had a much larger die and conductive traces and junctions so were less susceptible to electormigration.

Yes, but the hotter ones had a much larger die and conductive traces and junctions so were less susceptible to electormigration.

Do we really have any data on this? Do we really need to worry about crosstalk in any major way?

Do we really have any data on this? Do we really need to worry about crosstalk in any major way?

What does crosstalk have to do with it? It's that the conductors on the chip are thinner and the same current density and heat can destroy them faster, through electormigration, than with the bigger die processors.

Not at all. It runs cooler than 2600K at stock at least, have not overclocked yet.

Back