Does anybody play games for Fun anymore?

Blinkme323

[H]ard|Gawd
It seems that more and more people are just playing games based on reviews and the newest graphics that will put their SLI rigs to the test. And as a result, the fun factor is seriously fading. Company Of Heroes, Episode One, and COD2 are the only games in recent memory that had me on the edge of the seat wanting to play more.

There are less and less epic games coming out each year. I have my hopes pretty high that new releases these next few months (SupCom, Crysis, Gears Of War, Zelda) will return things to the way they used to be. I lost interest in my X360 and its so called "next gen" games like Madden 07. On the PC, I still find myself replaying Warcraft 3 and UT99 quite a bit.

I can still remember back to when I first got games like Red Alert and just couldn't stop playing, especially if my friends wanted to join in. Now (to stereotype the modern gamer), everyone's either caught up in trying the newest beta Nvidia drivers or raking up gold in WoW like its their job.

Anybody else agree with me? Feel free to list any of your personal favorites which are still fun to play.

You might want to re-read your post and think about what you sound like. Especially considering the thread title.

I think what your getting at is called maturing and priorities changing. I feel the exact same way. Oblivion sure got me hooked like the old days though. :p

Used to play a ton back in the day..

Now stuff like work and sleep get in way :(

I think there are more episodic games coming out because they have a shorter production time. I don't think there are any less epic games coming out, there is just more waiting time between them. Besides, if the "holy graphics" games weren't fun, why would people even bother playing them. And Madden sucks anyway, you can play football in real life, but you can't quest for gold and fight goblins and aliens.

I think you've probably got a point, however remember you've already been through your own "golden age" already as far as the gaming hobby goes, from the sound of it. Bummer for you, however the n00bs are still coming in and playing and for them, they are IN their golden age now. One day, they'll wax nostalgic about how great farming gold was in the old days, etc...

I feel like I'm permanently retired from gaming now myself. I made an effort, I did. I d/l the BF2142 demo, and got an error trying to run it. Back to retirement I guess.

Most entertaining game I have played in a long, long time. I stopped playing Okami when I got this and only started again when I finished it. Loved every minute of it: low production values, cheezy dialogue, almost no plot, boring environments, absolutely hilarious, incredibly fun and lots and lots of deep, hand-to-hand brawling. My personal GOTY.

I thought the point of playing games was to have fun... :confused: Of course, certain posters and threads where said posters are like "That console/system/whatever isn't worth it, get an X360/PS3/PC/Whatever cause the graphics are way bettar" kind of...irritate me. :p

I get a lot of enjoyment from (most) of the games I play and are playing.

Sadly, my gaming queue is growing quickly.

I used to play alot more when I was single and on my own. Now work, planning a wedding and sleep take up my time. I play my 360 more than PC because for me it is more accessible. I bet you will find more people that play games for fun than people that do what you are describing, at least on this board anyway. Trust me, if I had a little more free time to play I would. But in all honesty I dont really care all that much anymore as my priorities have changed drastically.

I play games purely for fun. I work a 60-70 hour workweek (with the occasional weekends tossed in), so kicking back (as of now) with my favorite SquareSoft RPGs or a few rounds of a multiplayer game is a great way for me to relax, 'specially now that I've upgraded my room somewhat. :) (Dimmers, Receiver + 5.1 setup, comfy chair, etc).

(Naturally, I post this from work whilst waiting for the clock to strike 6. ;) )

I very much enjoyed Empire at War, but it only took me about 4 days to beat both campaigns, so I only fire it up for the occasional skirmish now.

Oblivion is also very addicting if you're a stats whore and virtual kleptomaniac like me :p

Blinkme323 said:
It seems that more and more people are just playing games based on reviews and the newest graphics that will put their SLI rigs to the test. And as a result, the fun factor is seriously fading. Company Of Heroes, Episode One, and COD2 are the only games in recent memory that had me on the edge of the seat wanting to play more.

There are less and less epic games coming out each year. I have my hopes pretty high that new releases these next few months (SupCom, Crysis, Gears Of War, Zelda) will return things to the way they used to be. I lost interest in my X360 and its so called "next gen" games like Madden 07. On the PC, I still find myself replaying Warcraft 3 and UT99 quite a bit.

I can still remember back to when I first got games like Red Alert and just couldn't stop playing, especially if my friends wanted to join in. Now (to stereotype the modern gamer), everyone's either caught up in trying the newest beta Nvidia drivers or raking up gold in WoW like its their job.

Anybody else agree with me? Feel free to list any of your personal favorites which are still fun to play.

I hear you on that. Red alert was the game to play :cool:. Im still playing mafia. Just a few weeks ago I had Tiberium sun out.

Pics - http://wolfgame.org/mafia/pics/index.php
Vids - http://wolfgame.org/mafia/

I recently bought godfather, what a dissapointment. I personally dont really care about graphics that much, look through the mafia pics, you can see the trees are 3 peices, made out of flat very low res sprites, but the game itself looks rather nice, and the story to go with the game is good enough that it probably could have been a movie.

I remember when DOOM and Warcraft came out (the original warcraft). The only new game ive really boughten was godfather (Regret it) and oblivion, which was decent... Except I lost the entire damn cd case for, cds and all. Maybe its just nostalgia, but some of the old games still kick some ass.

Though, I think its mostly just age. Or possibly, just getting tired of something. I used to be interested in car racing, fast cars... Now im more interested in the stuff from the 1930s and 1940s, low-riders... Hell, I almost think id play simcity 3000 over DOOM3 if I was given the choice :eek:.

I still play almost every game for fun. There are a few I've played just to "see what happens next" like FEAR, but almost every game I play, it's just for fun.
I've gotten older, but I don't think my priorities have changed. I have as much fun playing San Andreas, Resident Evil 4, Far Cry, Mario Kart DS, etc. as I did playing Super Mario Bros. 3.
I think the only difference now is that when a sequel comes out, I expect it to be better. Back in the day I played Mega Man 1-4 and didn't care at all that they all looked exactly the same. Now, when there's a sequel to something, I'm expecting the a generational leap. If not - then you're stuck with Rachet and Clank 7, which is just more levels of the same 'ol game.

Space War, the tension, the intensity, just you and another ship fight to survive. Now all people care about is colors, and graphics. It's all gone done hill since then.

just to add to this...

I purchased MDK (the original) 3 times.
Lost the 1st, friend borrowed and lost the 2nd, and Im looking at the CD for the 3rd right next to me.

Old game, but apparently very special to me.
Its not that 3D games have hit a limit, its just that some point in the 90's quality in gaming was just more common. I believe its due to complexity and realism.

Game production just was not as complex as today. Developers are having to worry about the programing side (due to increased complexity), more than the creative side now days, and its effecting the quality of the final product.

This is what I was hoping the XNA software Microsoft made would fix. But it depends on how effective it is, and how many developers see the advantages of it or not. Does it
"evolve" programing to match the technology?

Wasting 3 hours programing a "JUMP" command is just not effective anymore. Back in 1985 it was worth it, but now its the reason programming teams consist of up to 100 people. Programming has not "evolved" parallel to the advances in hardware and technology, and THAT is what I think is the issue here.

i play games, for fun, cause i want to, cs gun mod is awsome and dam fun!!!

but yeah, i would never buy a new rig and shit for a game, i try it, i play it, dont like it, see ya! next fun game.,

I think perhaps with 3d gaming we have hit a bit of a plateau where things are revolving a bit more around getting visuals synched with gameplay. The first 2-d games were pretty crap and in a sense I think they can be likened to a couple of games being produced now.

However I think once developers get more attuned to the powerful technology that has become (and is becoming) available, we will begin to see an increase in the quality and 'epic-ness' of games. I'm looking forward to it.

I think you're getting down because there are more shitty games coming out now, but i think there are still just as many fun games. Check out the constant flow of awesome games coming out between now and next spring:

guitar hero 2
castlevania portrait of ruin
zelda
new super monkey ball
gears of war
couple more 360 games i can't remember
half life 2 ep 2
portal
team fortress 2
crysis
hellgate london

That's a lotta fuggin money out of my pocket in the next 6 months

i find now that I am almost 30 now, married, 2 kids, and all; gaming is not as fun as it used to be. I very rarely get to go to lan parties any more, my computer isn't upgraded as regularly, etc...

I remember when I was younger... got all excited when my best friend got a voodoo2, and I sat and we sat and played quake 2 until the sun came up...
ahh.... those were the days...

The game that I think are fun, are the ones that I can play and replay over and over again...

Every few months the family will get together and we will play Starcraft Broodwar all night...
Best game ever IMO... The graphics were not great...(not bad for the time); But I just think that it's amazing that a well designed and balanced game is still played to this very day by people all over the world...

I really enjoyed the Elder Scrolls series... -(Looking forward to the next ones)

Times have changed....

Seanmounce said:
I think what your getting at is called maturing and priorities changing. I feel the exact same way. Oblivion sure got me hooked like the old days though. :p

Correct, priorities change. But there are still games that get me excited and are great fun, namely the GTA games, Farcry, HL 2 & Episode 1 & Indigo Prophecy

No offense but I think gamers have become seriously spoiled, myself included! Not so long ago some of us where totally entertained and amazed by a bunch of 2d sprites bouncing around on a big old clunky crt. Now we have an enormous variety of games in different genres and on many platforms, yet it's not good enough. Everyone wants bigger, better, newer.. I feel the same way, it's just the way things are now. Even when I try to go back and 'relive' the classic games I used to love, I find myself bored.. again, spoiled by modern games. But when new games do come out, I definitely have fun with 'em :D

I beg to differ with the OP. Gaming is bigger, better and badder than it has ever been. Nostalgia is a bitch I tell you. It makes your fond memories of yesteryear better than it was. I think you guys are older and have more responsibility, thus you have less time to game. Think of all the games that have come out in the last year and half, all the heavy hitters on the PC and consoles. There has been alot of great games in every genre. If nothing there suits your tastes, then maybe you should just quit gaming altogether and remember the good ol' days, whatever that is to you. You're officially an old fart.

FYI - My uncle says the same thing. He's always ranting on and on about how they don't make games like they used to. Considering his favorite system of all time was the Colecovision when he was in college, I sure as hell hope they don't make games like that anymore.

As for the OP, I think it's just that games are trending away from your taste in games. Such is life. I find that young people (who are the majority gaming market) like different music (a lot of it sounds like the pop music I didn't like when I was a kid), different haircuts (I'm waiting for the Dukes of Hazard look to go away to see if they go for mullets next), different clothes. Why should games be any different? So you don't like the games that are on the market; that doesn't mean that other people don't find them fun.

I was expecting this thread to be about the seeming increase in the "win at all costs" mentality I see in online games. Gold farmers are rampant in MMORPGs and high-level accounts sell sometimes for quite a bit of money. People find ways to cheat in everything from card games to RTS and FPS. There's not a single multiplayer game I've seen--including checkers (AI assistance, anyone?)--where there isn't someone trying to cheat, or skip ahead.

Where's the fun in giving yourself an unfair advantage? Where's the satisfaction at winning a game you didn't even really play? What's the point in winning when you can't do it on a level playing field, especially when there is nothing to gain from it? Are people's egos really so fragile that they so badly need to beat someone at something and cheat to do it?

god, HL2 and EPisode 1 were SOOO fun. I've played Episode 1 3 times, and HL2 at least 5 times.

But, all teh games I play are fun. I dont get very far into it if it isnt.

btf1980 said:
I beg to differ with the OP. Gaming is bigger, better and badder than it has ever been. Nostalgia is a bitch I tell you. It makes your fond memories of yesteryear better than it was. I think you guys are older and have more responsibility, thus you have less time to game. Think of all the games that have come out in the last year and half, all the heavy hitters on the PC and consoles. There has been alot of great games in every genre. If nothing there suits your tastes, then maybe you should just quit gaming altogether and remember the good ol' days, whatever that is to you. You're officially an old fart.

I think it's more that a lot of us remember the golden days of the early 90s, when the games that shaped the genres of today came out.

The problem is that the industry can't just go on making games like they used to. If they did, Half-Life would have been just another run and gun, kill everything shooter just like Wolf3D. People would be complaining of the lack of innovation, calling everything stale and uninspired. Because they have innovated, because games have evolved, those people whose taste in games has stagnated (there's probably a more friendly word, but I can't think of it) complain that games aren't what they used to be.

Here's a suggestion: if you want more of the same, just go back and replay the games you love. Developers are trying to do something new and different, that's the only way they can continue doing business.

btf1980 said:
FYI - My uncle says the same thing. He's always ranting on and on about how they don't make games like they used to. Considering his favorite system of all time was the Colecovision when he was in college, I sure as hell hope they don't make games like that anymore.

Don't knock Adventure. That game ruled.

Back