Does anybody know how the OS install is supposed to work on Acer computers??

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I've got and Acer desktop with a bad HD. It's totally unreadable so everything on it is gone.

I have the following Acer Disks -

1. Acer System Disk Formatter.

2. Recovery DVD 1

3. Recovery DVD 2

After installing a new HD, I run the disk formatter and it tells me the disk was sucessfully formatted and to insert the Recovery DVD 1 before rebooting the system. This I do. I'm then prompted for the language. I select English. It then promptly spits out the disk and tells me to insert backup disk one or the System CD. I have no clue what either of these is. What do I need to do to get Win XP back on this POS.

TIA

isn't there a Windows XP CD Key sticker on the Acer? You can just download a real Windows XP OEM disk somewhere and use the key that came with your computer.

That said, not sure about your Acer but Lenovo's Thinkpad Edge 15 laptops are funny that way too. It prompts you to put in disk 1, then 2, then 3, except there's no disk 3, so I have to cancel the disk 3 prompt. Fortunately it doesn't roll back the install.

isn't there a Windows XP CD Key sticker on the Acer? You can just download a real Windows XP OEM disk somewhere and use the key that came with your computer.

That said, not sure about your Acer but Lenovo's Thinkpad Edge 15 laptops are funny that way too. It prompts you to put in disk 1, then 2, then 3, except there's no disk 3, so I have to cancel the disk 3 prompt. Fortunately it doesn't roll back the install.

Nope, it don't work that way. Each OEM has their own set of keys and their own flavor of XP. Mixing and matching with the generic OEM don't work. Wish it did.

Dell does it the correct way, they include a bare OS CD with their systems that will work on any Dell computer. But it won't work on a non Dell computer. :(

Nope, it don't work that way. Each OEM has their own set of keys and their own flavor of XP. Mixing and matching with the generic OEM don't work. Wish it did.

Dell does it the correct way, they include a bare OS CD with their systems that will work on any Dell computer. But it won't work on a non Dell computer. :(

No, that's wrong. I've used dell and Gateway OEM disks for other vendors before. The only one I couldn't do once was a compaq disk that had a software check for the compaq bios.

It's a hit or miss....YMMV.

You can use the sticker OEM key with retail installation. I wouldn't even bother with recovery media if they don't work at first or second attempt.

Back