Does anybody have the Canon i9900?

EGGO

Gawd
I've been researching what printer to get for the longest time to print my design pages, I'm pretty sure I want the Canon i9900. However, I'm looking at how big this thing looks (I can't find anybody that sells it around here) to see its relative size, and to be honest, seeing it in a home setting helps me more than their advertized image.

Does anybody also have any kind of opinions or whatnot of my decision?

just go to a retail store near you and see for your self i am pretty sure they have it there

RandysWay said:
Sure, but..

Little tiny Inkjet Cartridges: $
Huge ass Laser Cartridges: $

True, but I have enough money for the Inkjet printer. I'm going to use it really for printing my graphic design stuff, which will be few and far in between, but this quality printer will be needed (which is why I know the Inkjet will be more costefficient). For papers like your regular office papers, I can easily use my HP Deskjet 932C.

just go to a retail store near you and see for your self i am pretty sure they have it there

Staples, Best Buy, Office Max, or CompUSA (the only stores around here that sells computer components) don't hold it. After that, I have to travel to the big city, which I'd rather just go online over.

Let's see here..

Your Canon i9900 is around $460.00 cheapest. $12.00 per six cartridges is $72.00 per full-round refill. These things run out like butter - I used to have a Canon i950 and i960 and it was so aggravating to refill the cartridges EVERY DAY for the amount of printing we did.

You could get a Xerox Phaser 6250 laser printer (C 26ppm, BW 26ppm), which I use, which starts at $1,799.00.
You could get a Xerox Phaser 8400 laser printer (C 24ppm, BW 24ppm), which starts at $999.00.
You could get a Xerox Phaser 6100 laser printer (C 5ppm, BW 21ppm), which starts at $499.00.

Like all "starting" prices, you can find them for much cheaper.

I buy complete toner sets for the 6250, which is High Yield (8,000 pages) for about $350.00. The "colorstix" that the 8400 printer uses are cheap and affordable.

Sorry, but IMHO lasers are the way to go; with the price of the Inkjet's and the price of the low-lasting ink, you'll be throwing away money in no time.

-R

RandysWay said:
Let's see here..

Your Canon i9900 is around $460.00 cheapest. $12.00 per six cartridges is $72.00 per full-round refill. These things run out like butter - I used to have a Canon i950 and i960 and it was so aggravating to refill the cartridges EVERY DAY for the amount of printing we did.

You could get a Xerox Phaser 6250 laser printer (C 26ppm, BW 26ppm), which I use, which starts at $1,799.00.
You could get a Xerox Phaser 8400 laser printer (C 24ppm, BW 24ppm), which starts at $999.00.
You could get a Xerox Phaser 6100 laser printer (C 5ppm, BW 21ppm), which starts at $499.00.

Like all "starting" prices, you can find them for much cheaper.

I buy complete toner sets for the 6250, which is High Yield (8,000 pages) for about $350.00. The "colorstix" that the 8400 printer uses are cheap and affordable.

Sorry, but IMHO lasers are the way to go; with the price of the Inkjet's and the price of the low-lasting ink, you'll be throwing away money in no time.

-R

Aye, I would buy a laser, as a matter of fact, you're making me second guess my decision. I'm researching it right now, but I don't know if it can print 13"x19"

I recently got the i9900, and it is a marvelous printer. By all means get it. My previous printer was the Epson 1270 (another 13x19 inch printer), and this beats it in print quality, speed, and noise. Its the quietest inkjet I've ever known. The one area where Epson trumps the Canon is in print longetivity and archival use. If you sell prints, you would be better off with one of Epson's archival printers. For my needs, I just need a wide format printer to do quick proofs of work (I'm a designer) so the i9900 is perfect.

Why is size such an important factor in your buying decision? All 13x19's are relatively similar in size and take up a bigger space than an 8x10. It fits fine on my desk, but if need be, place yours on the floor or something. Don't even make size a consideration. Just buy this. Its that good. There is no other inkjet at this price level that I'd rather have.

And ink consumption is much lower and cheaper than Epson.

Xerox Phaser's color prints cant come close to any photo quality inkjet. Its better suited for business document printing, rather than graphic design proofing.

Bad Seed said:
Xerox Phaser's color prints cant come close to any photo quality inkjet. Its better suited for business document printing, rather than graphic design proofing.

LOL ?? With my Phaser 6250 nobody can tell the difference between a color print from that or from the Canon i960. They dont wash off like the inkets, they dont bleed and the print is consistant color from Page 1 to Page 500. They dont fade or change colors from UV light like Inkjet's. They're waterproof. I had an Inkjet and Laser print taped on to my fridge for exactly one year without moving them, out of sunlight, and the Inkjet turned completely green - and the laser was 100% the same. In fact, I put a laser print outside, on the wall and in the direct sunlight for a few months over extreme sun and rain storms, and apart for the paper being bent there was no bleeding or fading. I had the same attiude as you, the "Laser cant come close to an inkjet" but after owning it for over a year, I'd never go back to the Inkjet - not just for the benefits, but for the quality.

And, believe me, all I use the laser for is graphic design, proofing and artwork.

The Donut said:
You can also find the cartridges for Canon printers alot cheaper than $12 each :)

I found, bought and tried cartridges for the Canon i960 as cheap as $1.50, $3.00, and $5.00. The color was so inconsistent I wasted a few hundred dollars trying to get the color right, buying aftermarket ink cartridges and refilling the original cartridges. The only consistant color that was suitable for my tasks were the "true" canon cartridges; after awhile it got so pricey I simply went out and bought a laser printer. I found the Xerox 6250 to be the "best deal" out of the HP's because of the quality, DPI, speed and requires a lot less space.

-R

Back