• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

does antialiasing have any effect when running on LCDS?

cair0

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 25, 2000
Messages
2,691
if you are running an lcd at it's native resolution, will antialiasing have any effect on how the image looks? seems to me that it wouldnt make much of a difference at all. the reason i ask, im in the market for a new monitor and im debating lcd vs crt
 
I'm assuming you're talking about anti-aliasing done to text or done on a video game. This is different than the smoothing done when you run an LCD at a non-native resolution. It does have a positive effect, but should not influence your CRT vs. LCD decision since the exact same positive effect is there for LCDs and CRTs. Here's how I compared them:


A good CRT:
+ Accurate color reproduction
+ Cheap
+ Can handle many different resolutions well
- Image isn't as crisp
- Huge and heavy
- Higher power usage

A good LCD:
+ Very crisp image, good for text
+ Lightweight and small (good for LAN parties)
+ Lower power usage
+ DVI allows for a good picture without the Digital -> Analog quality loss
- Expensive
- Only look good at native resolution
- Color reproduction is less accurate
- Can exhibit "ghosting" caused by low response times in some games

I ultimately decided on a Viewsonic P225B for around $650 shipped.

Edit: If you do decide to get an LCD, don't just take them at their word for the response times. Read reviews of the monitor or ask people. Response time numbers are misleading. You can read about why here.
 
cair0 said:
if you are running an lcd at it's native resolution, will antialiasing have any effect on how the image looks? seems to me that it wouldnt make much of a difference at all. the reason i ask, im in the market for a new monitor and im debating lcd vs crt

To answer your question a little bit better, yes. The effects of AA are clearly visible when I play BF42 and BF:V, and every other game I own. And I have not been running at my LCD's native resolution. At 1600x1200 the image should look even better, but I have to wait for my X800XT for that...
 
At 1600 x 1200 Far Cry with AA is much sweeter on my 1600 x 1200 native LCD. So yes it does make a difference. Who would have thought at that high of a res it would matter, but it does on the larger monitors!
 
I would have to think that AA has a GREATER effect on LCD's than it does on CRT's; AA is essentially a blurring method, and LCDs are sharper than CRT's by design. I can't wait to get an LCD for this X800 Pro. :) --710T, here I come, just as soon as I fogure out my housing and employment situations.
 
Back
Top