"Does an i7 7700K on "Z170" motherboard work with Windows 7. Help Urgent!

Nightingale007

Weaksauce
I have been searching for over a week for an answer to my question.
Ok so we all know that Kabylake Z270 is no longer officially supported by windows 7. Skylake Z170 is Officially supported since that is what I currently have. I have a friend that bought a brand new Kabylake i7 7700K in anticipation for the Z170 board he plans to buy at the end of the mouth. My brother needs an i7 for his soon to be built Z170(he loves windows 7) and I can sell him my 6700K and then buy a 7700K with $40 loss.

My Question is will installing the Kabylake CPU in my Asus Maximus Z170 board cause issues with Windows 7. My basic understanding and assumption is that Windows 7 support ending with Skylake Z170 is more of a motherboard chipset issue rather than the CPU.

I tried Googling this and was not able to find an answer. So does anyone here know if the Windows 7 support is only specifically for Z170 with a Skylake CPU even though Z170 Motherboard fully support's KabyLake CPU's. What I hope to do is install a KabyLake I7 7700K into my ASUS Maximus Alpha.

Last edited:
Well the warning I got when I briefly installed 7700k on z270 is: "Your PC uses a processor that isn't supported on this version of Windows". So clearly mentioning the CPU. Whether its actually the case literally I guess we may need someone to try it on a z170. Since you say you were "searching for over a week for an answer" and could not find any.

I have Windows 7 running on my HTPC. Specs:

Asus maximus hero VIII Z170.

Only thing you need to worry about is updating your BIOS prior to getting rid of your previous chip.

Tldr: it works.

oh yeah, sh1t. My friend is buying the parts on amazon for his Z170 system. Maximus Hero Z170 with i7 7700K. Problem is how is he going to update the Bios without a supported chip. The Motherboard comes with the older bios, so he will need a Skylake CPU to update the bios to support Kabylake.

Wait is it possible to to use the Bios Flashback that comes with the Maximus Hero where you place the bios on the usb stick and plug it in the usb port above the biosflashback button, hold it down and have the board flash the bios. So he would have the Motherboard, ram and Kabylake CPU but the motherboard would never boot since all he has to do is turn the PSU on and [perform the offline bios flash.

Is this Possible?

oh yeah, sh1t. My friend is buying the parts on amazon for his Z170 system. Maximus Hero Z170 with i7 7700K. Problem is how is he going to update the Bios without a supported chip. The Motherboard comes with the older bios, so he will need a Skylake CPU to update the bios to support Kabylake.

Wait is it possible to to use the Bios Flashback that comes with the Maximus Hero where you place the bios on the usb stick and plug it in the usb port above the biosflashback button, hold it down and have the board flash the bios. So he would have the Motherboard, ram and Kabylake CPU but the motherboard would never boot since all he has to do is turn the PSU on and [perform the offline bios flash.

Is this Possible?

I updated the bios without any processor. I did the bios flashback feature that is on the maximus hero. You stick USB into bios USB slot, press button, wait 30 seconds, and vio-la! You can now install the 7700k.

Back