Does a switch work as a hub?

CyByte

Gawd
I want to lan with my friend and someone else has my hub. I hvae a 5 port switch and the ac adaptor for it. It has 5 spots for rj45 connections would this work or do I need wally world?

It should work as long as all the computers have set ip's.

They dont have a router to DHCP them.
So they need there own identification to see each other.

Set the ip's and it should work.

switch would work better as it wouldnt be sending data through every port trying to find which machine it needs to go to.. switch works by using mac addresses to send out info to machines which reduces network traffic....

Though it's far outside the scope of this request, given the right traffic patterns, a switch can be slower than a hub. The time to buffer in the Ethernet header and route the packet can be high enough with a certain type of traffic flow to hurt your throughput.

However, in a micro-segmented network (one switch port for one device, not one switch port into another layer-2 device), the benefit of full-duplex for every device makes this very very unlikely. It's kinda cool not to have to worry about if anyone is talking on the line, and just tossing packets out on it.

it worked to hook my xbox up to the pc and use xbox connect :)

we're just going to be transfering files and gaming. you know the usual lan

ElaborateDream said:
Though it's far outside the scope of this request, given the right traffic patterns, a switch can be slower than a hub. The time to buffer in the Ethernet header and route the packet can be high enough with a certain type of traffic flow to hurt your throughput.

However, in a micro-segmented network (one switch port for one device, not one switch port into another layer-2 device), the benefit of full-duplex for every device makes this very very unlikely. It's kinda cool not to have to worry about if anyone is talking on the line, and just tossing packets out on it.

I hope youre refering to an intelligent hub versus a switch here ....

Back