Does a router need to have "bridge" mode to bridge?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
Does a router have to have a specific/special "bridge" mode in order to bridge with another router?

If I have two routers and want one of them to act as a hardwired "extension" of the main router -- i.e., passing through the main router's DHCP to any devices that connect through it -- is this possible to do "manually" on a router, per se, or does a router need to have a special and specific "bridge" mode to be able to do this?

I'm supposing that it does -- although most settings could be set manually (WAN IP, gateway, etc.), I'd guess that the DHCP "pass-through" ability isn't a native function of all/most routers (unless running some type of custom firmware, like DD-WRT).

You would not want the second device to be acting as a router.

Are you speaking of simple home wireless router/access point devices? In that case, just connect the second "router" to the first via a LAN port instead of using the Internet/WAN port. Then ensure you have DHCP turned off on the second "router" and that its IP does not conflict with the first router. You will then be good to go.

The WAN/Internet port on routers is firewalled from the LAN side.

Bridge mode is more for modem/router combos and allows you to bypass the router/firewall side to use your own router/firewall. It is effectively disabling NAT.

You would not want the second device to be acting as a router.

Are you speaking of simple home wireless router/access point devices? In that case, just connect the second "router" to the first via a LAN port instead of using the Internet/WAN port. Then ensure you have DHCP turned off on the second "router" and that its IP does not conflict with the first router. You will then be good to go.

The WAN/Internet port on routers is firewalled from the LAN side.

Bridge mode is more for modem/router combos and allows you to bypass the router/firewall side to use your own router/firewall. It is effectively disabling NAT.

Gotcha, thanks. Yes, these are simple home wireless router/AP devices.

Going off your pointer, I read up on my network-fu, and understand more about the WAN vs LAN ports regarding routing/firewall/NAT/etc. Thanks!

That being said, when is "bridging" desirable (or used), then?

Last edited:
When you have a modem/router combo device that you want to bypass the router functions of and have another router take on those duties.

If I have two routers and want one of them to act as a hardwired "extension" of the main router -- i.e., passing through the main router's DHCP to any devices that connect through it -- is this possible to do "manually" on a router, per se, or does a router need to have a special and specific "bridge" mode to be able to do this?

Buy a switch.

Back