Does a laptop exist that meets these requirements?

soxfandoug

Weaksauce
Hello all. I am looking to buy a new laptop. I am ready to buy one tonight if I can find one that comes close to meeting my requirements. I may be to demanding, I'm not sure. I'm looking for the following:

- I would like it to weigh 6 lbs or less. I could possibly go up to 7, but I do a lot of traveling, so the lighter the better.

- Must have dedicated graphics memory, preferably 128mb. I will be playing lots of World of Warcraft on this system.

- Widescreen Monitor, 12" or larger.

- 1gb Memory

- Decent Battery Life. My current laptop only lasts for around 2 hours.

- The most I can spend is $1500.

Does anybody have any recommendations? I was looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000. It was a tad heavy for my tastes, but I haven't been able to find anything lighter that still has good graphics. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Thanks Canon. Wow, that is a sweet system. Only 2 drawbacks for me. The cost, and it only has 512mb DDR. How easy is it to buy and install RAM in a notebook?

Anybody else have suggestions?

I'm really close to buying that Acer system. It costs a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I think the performance increase will be worth it.

I have one more question before I bite the bullet and get that system. Are there any ultra portable notebooks with decent dedicated video memory? If the answer to this question is no, I think I will go ahead and get that Acer system.

Thanks!

Just thought I'd add that I got the system in the link yesterday and so far I am very impressed with it. It is a very nice machine.

pretty much any kind of ram is easy to install notebook or PC you just pop the old stick out and put the new one in opposite of how the old one popped out :D , as long as your not forcing in anything you'll be good.
-Appatula

Best to buy Ram from Newegg seperatly no matter where else you get it. Example: Dell will cvharge you $300 for two 512 sticks but you can purchase 1 1gig stick off newegg for $109

I'm not a big fan of Gateway PC's or notebooks.. but their M460 Series may be somewhat like what you are looking for.

l337zax, that M460XL is pretty decent looking. Like you though, I am somewhat hesitant about purchasing a Gateway system. The battery life appears to be fantastic though. Decisions, decisions...

Jovian, I was thinking the same thing about Newegg. I can get a second 512mb stick of 533 DDR2 for less than $60, that isn't too bad.

appatula, thanks. I have never done any modifications to a laptop, but have plenty of experience with PC's. It's good to know that adding memory to a laptop is just as easy.

So Elmo187, you are happy with it? My biggest concern with that Acer (other than the price) is the battery life. I was hoping to get one that would last 4+ hours. Have you stretched the battery to its limits yet?

Any other suggestions guys?

The gateway 460XL is what i am planning on getting. i have the exact same needs as you. traveling wow-aholic. im going to buy mine through a school program and its a little less not much like 50$ but get it whereever you can.
What realm you play on?
Paul

AIIAznsk8er, I play on the Aggramar realm.

I have decided to place my order (whatever it may be) Sunday night. That gives me a little over 48 hours to make my decision. Does anybody have any other recommendations other than the Acer 8103 and the Gateway 460XL?

Thanks again for the replies everybody :)

soxfandoug said:
So Elmo187, you are happy with it? My biggest concern with that Acer (other than the price) is the battery life. I was hoping to get one that would last 4+ hours. Have you stretched the battery to its limits yet?
Yes I am quite happy with it. Gives me some good gaming performance, certainly better than my old desktop.

I got 2 1/2 hours battery life with the processor at 50%, and the display brightness on full. This was while watching a movie off the harddrive and doing some IM/surfing. But no, I haven't tried to see what the max life is yet.

I will have to reccomend the sony S series, I have S360 and I couldnt be more pleased, graphics are 9700 w/64MB but its enough to run all modern games. Plays BF2 suprisingly well, doesnt look great, but its ... like 4 pounds :)

They may have a newer reversion with an x700 mobile that would suit your needs very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834224016

This is what I would get if I got a laptop, but portability isnt my thing, not sure about the battery life on it cuz its running an amd 64... but it looks good to me

7.7 pounds as well... more power for the sacrifice in size. Honestly if you are really worried about the size and battery life, get the acer, it will definitely play wow. This already has the 1gb memory, 100gb hard drive, and some other stuff that you wont be needing to upgrade now (or later), but it is a little bigger.

Ah seems they are using a 6200 w/Turbo Cache, would be a very good path for ultra-portable with power and Batt. life.

The S series can have an extended battery. Think it goes for ~6 Hours or so and power management settings, I have the non-extended battery and pulling 3-4 hours is pretty easy.

Well, I ordered the Acer system. I got it from Zipzoomfly, they were a bit cheaper than Newegg.

Two more questions. I see that this notebook has a modular bay, which allows hot swapping between the DVD burner it comes with, a second battery, or a second hard drive. Does anybody know where I can buy these modular devices? I am trying to find a modular battery, with no luck.

The notebook comes with a 8 cell battery. Anybody know where I could purchase a 10, or perhaps 12 cell battery for this machine? I looked at the Acer website, and didn't see anything.

Thank again for the help everybody! ;)

Back