Does a DNS Server have to be in a domain?

Philj

n00b
Hi All

If I wanted to set up a Windows DNS server on my home network, does it have to be part of a domain?

Thanks

No

Why would you want to do this though? If you don't have a domain network you can configure your router to point to whatever dns server you want.

No

Why would you want to do this though? If you don't have a domain network you can configure your router to point to whatever dns server you want.
One reason; local caching.

Not a great reason now a days, but it was all the rage back in the dialup days.

If you don't have a domain on the network then no, your DNS server does not need to be part of a domain.

DNS does not require AD, but AD requires AD-integrated DNS
Actually, it doesn't. AD requires DNS, that's certainly true, but your zone doesn't need to be AD-integrated. Doesn't even need to be hosted on windows. As long as windows can update the zone, it can be hosted one whatever platform you want.

my home server is faster then my router. server is in sig and the router is a netear 3700v2.

i used this to bench: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Final benchmark results, sorted by nameserver performance:
(average cached name retrieval speed, fastest to slowest)

10. 0. 0. 3 | Min | Avg | Max |Std.Dev|Reliab%|
----------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
+ Cached Name | 0.000 | 0.000 | 0.000 | 0.000 | 100.0 |
+ Uncached Name | 0.021 | 0.073 | 0.306 | 0.076 | 100.0 |
+ DotCom Lookup | 0.021 | 0.043 | 0.115 | 0.027 | 100.0 |
---<-------->---+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
HOME-SERVER
Local Network Nameserver

10. 0. 0. 1 | Min | Avg | Max |Std.Dev|Reliab%|
----------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
- Cached Name | 0.025 | 0.029 | 0.051 | 0.004 | 100.0 |
- Uncached Name | 0.033 | 0.075 | 0.273 | 0.064 | 100.0 |
- DotCom Lookup | 0.035 | 0.055 | 0.102 | 0.017 | 100.0 |
---<-------->---+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
Non-routable local internet address
Local Network Nameserver <------router

Thanks for the replies. I'm just messing around with Windows Server but don't want to go through the trouble of creating a domain.

What about Windows DHCP, does that require a domain?

Thanks

i personally have a server2k3 box (not even R2, heh) running at home doing both DHCP and DNS (few other things as well). i've had my home network running like this for the last 5+ years, and other than the familiar/easy controls of a windows DHCP/DNS console(as opposed to letting my router do it) i'm honestly about to turn it off and move back to all router controlled network services. my home router is slightly older, and i havent really looked into newer models as to whether they can do static DNS entries. but I did like the ability to control DNS names within the house. it's just a whole lot easier to tell the wife to remember an easy share/box name as opposed to an IP.

i personally have a server2k3 box (not even R2, heh) running at home doing both DHCP and DNS (few other things as well). i've had my home network running like this for the last 5+ years, and other than the familiar/easy controls of a windows DHCP/DNS console(as opposed to letting my router do it) i'm honestly about to turn it off and move back to all router controlled network services. my home router is slightly older, and i havent really looked into newer models as to whether they can do static DNS entries. but I did like the ability to control DNS names within the house. it's just a whole lot easier to tell the wife to remember an easy share/box name as opposed to an IP.

Or you could just let lldp and netbios do its thing and still have name resolution on the LAN.

I have a 2k3r2 server that is the domain controller, DNS, and DHCP. I like having the DNS and DHCP integrated together like B1zz said so that everything has a DNS name, I also have most of my computer and equipment setup with DHCP reservations so I know what the IP will be if I don't want or can't use the DNS name.

Back